cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VxLAN Border Gateway Not Forwarding Layer2 Traffic To Legacy 7K

bssmith10
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, I am trying to test migration of switches from a legacy environment to vxlan.  The vxlan is connected to Legacy 7Ks via double-sided vPC.  The SVI for vlans will remain on the 7K for now.  The vPC between the 7K and Border Gateway is up and only a single vlan is allowed on the trunk with that single vlan mapped to vni.  The Border Gateway is connected to the Spines.  When I migrate a pair of 9K switches off the 7K to the Spines, the vxlan portion works great.  I am able to ping other devices connected to other leafs but I am not able to ping the SVI on the 7K.  It appears as though the Border Gateway is not forwarding on the vPC.  When displaying interface trunk on the Border Gateway, I can see the single vlan is forwarding on the port-channel but I do not see it on the physical interface that is in the port-channel.  Below is an excerpt from the show interfaces trunk, where eth1/15 is in po501 and po501 is the port-channel up to the 7K.  I don't know if this is my problem or not but is the only thing that stands out to me.

Port STP Forwarding
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eth1/2 none
Eth1/3 none
Eth1/15 none
Po500 350
Po501 350

1 Reply 1

betty4920taylor
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Catlikesbest@bssmith10,

It seems you’re encountering issues with VXLAN configuration and forwarding between the Border Gateway and the Legacy 7K switches.                  

Ensure that the VLAN associated with the SVI on the 7K is correctly configured on the Border Gateway and the Spines.
Verify that the VLAN is allowed on the trunk between the Border Gateway and the 7K.    
Confirm that the single VLAN is correctly mapped to the VNI on the Border Gateway.    
Check the VNI configuration on the Spines as well.     
Verify the vPC configuration between the 7K and the Border Gateway.    
Ensure that the vPC peer-link is operational and that the vPC domain is consistent.  
Review the configuration of port-channel po501 and its member interfaces (eth1/15).  
Confirm that the physical interface eth1/15 is correctly configured and operational.   
Investigate broadcast, unknown unicast, and multicast (BUM) traffic forwarding.    
Check if the Border Gateway is correctly forwarding BUM traffic to the 7K.   
Remember to validate each step carefully.     
I hope this will help you.  

Best regards,
Catlikesbest