cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

3750X-48P vs 48PF Power Supplies

amzerrlaut
Level 1
Level 1

I am running a switch stack consisting of 2 3750X-48PF-L's and 3 3750X-48P-L's. They are being used to provide POE to Cisco 7942G IP Phones.  I am seeing "power deny" messages when I do the "show inline power" command, and the switch says it only has 6W available.  According to the "show inline power" command, the 7942's require 12W each to run.

The PF-L's in the stack each have one 1100W supply while the P-L's have one 715W.

According to the whitepaper, the 3750X's will support what they call "dual redundant power supplies".  But it's kind of dubious as to whether adding a second power supply will increase the amount of available wattage or if it will only act as a failover power supply.

I opened a TAC case and the rep advised that the 3750X series will all take any of the available power supplies (350W, 715W, 1100W) but I want to make sure.  I have some other PF-L's with the 1100W supplies that will not be used for POE.  If it's possible, I will just switch out the 715's for the 1100's but I don't want to damage the switch.

I think the P-L is "POE" and the PF-L is "Full POE", but is there an actual hardware difference beyond the PF-L coming with a larger power supply?  If all else fails, I could just use power bricks for the remaining phones, but I hate the idea of doing that. The switches were purchased before I started working there, and I'm not sure what the other guy was thinking since he knew they were going to be used for POE.

Sorry to be long winded, I'll sum up here:

Will adding a second power supply provide more usable wattage, or will it just act as a failover?

Can I use an 1100W power supply in a WS-C3750X-P-L switch?

Likewise, can I use a 715W power supply in a WS-C3750X-PF-L switch?

Thanks,

0 Replies 0