cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Bridging on Cisco C1111-8p

lz9u
Level 1
Level 1

Hi group, has anyone tried configuring bridge interface on C1111-8p routers. We are currently upgrading a bunch of 800 series routers with the new 1111 ISR's. These are used at very small sites where we have just two PC's with a printer service at those sites.

So, instead of having a switch we are just using bridge interface (BVI) for layer 2 communication and routed for layer3.  I read that BVI has changed to BDI in these ISR routers but am having trouble joining interfaces to the bridge-domain group.

Also tried using svi instead of bdi but having trouble configuring mac based access list in the svi. Any config examples to configure bridging and mac access-list is much appreciated.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Finally I was able to figure out the problem. In cisco 800 series routers the mac address used by BVI interface and the SVI were the same hence we had no issues. In cisco C1100 BDI interface comes up with its own mac address which was different from the SVI hence the routing was failing. Changing the BDI mac address to same as SVI  resolved the issue.

interface Vlan5
no ip address
service instance 10 ethernet
encapsulation untagged
mac access-group mac700 in
bridge-domain 10

interface BDI10

mac-address 1.1.1.1
ip address x.x.x.x
no shut

Manually changing the mac address to the same as svi5 resolved the issue.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Thanks for the reply Balaji, I tried that config but the interfaces doesn't support "service instance" command and bridge-domain command. Another issue is with the mac access-list which is not being supported.Here is my network config:

gi0/0/0 is connected to WAN 

gi0/1/0 and gi0/1/1 and gi0/1/2 are connected to PC, printer and a desktop switch. Configured a bridge-doamin interface 10 with an ip. Can't add service instance commands on 0/1/0,0/1/1,0/1/2 interfaces and neither can add them into the bridge domain 10. Command doesn't support.

Cisco IOS XE Software, Version 16.06.05
Cisco IOS Software [Everest], ISR Software (ARMV8EB_LINUX_IOSD-UNIVERSALK9_IAS-M), Version 16.6.5, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc3)

Can you please post the configuration so we can look and advise.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hello

IRB/BDI is relative straight forward can you post the config of your router as it at present please.

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Finally I was able to figure out the problem. In cisco 800 series routers the mac address used by BVI interface and the SVI were the same hence we had no issues. In cisco C1100 BDI interface comes up with its own mac address which was different from the SVI hence the routing was failing. Changing the BDI mac address to same as SVI  resolved the issue.

interface Vlan5
no ip address
service instance 10 ethernet
encapsulation untagged
mac access-group mac700 in
bridge-domain 10

interface BDI10

mac-address 1.1.1.1
ip address x.x.x.x
no shut

Manually changing the mac address to the same as svi5 resolved the issue.

Glad to hear it sorted. can we mark this as resolved, so other community member can refer this solution.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help