Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

pkt is not compatible with this version of packet Tracer

Hi guys,

i'm using the latest version of packet tracer (8.0.1) but still getting this problem and i really need the file

if anyone knows how to open it please help !!

9 Replies 9

Martin L
VIP
VIP

packet tracer 8.0.1.0064 seems to be last version.  So, maybe your file is corrupt somehow. you can attach here (as a zip) for us to test it.

you can test my pt file made on pt 8.1 to see if your pt app is ok. get my example from https://community.cisco.com/t5/server-networking/3-5-5-packet-tracer-host-name-unresolved/m-p/4469284#M13283

Regards, ML
**Please Rate All Helpful Responses **

yes, i can open the file

my app is fine

and I could NOT open your switching one. something wrong with that file; maybe corrupt.

Regards, ML
**Please Rate All Helpful Responses **

so there’s no solution for that??

please help

Joey Veee
Level 1
Level 1

The issue is when the cisco packet tracer is updated from 8.0.1 (example) to 8.0.2. The old file you worked on 8.0.1 wont work on the 8.0.2 It is just something that Cisco needs to fix. You can work on the old file by downgrading the Packet tracer. or installing new Packet tracer that is the same version as the File you worked on. and do not update the packet tracer unless there is major update. you can also copy the old file into new packet tracer version by opening both, so you can transfer the file over. I am not sure if there is a File converter for the version to be upgraded or not, Hope this helps. 

good idea

Hello,

thanks for the info. I always thought that if you install the latest version of Packet Tracer, all files created with previous versions are compatibel. Apparently not...

Joey Veee
Level 1
Level 1

Yeah it is not compatible, usually when you work with PT is great if you include the version on the name of your project, like: 
Network 8.1.pkt 
This will help you to not run into that issue, it is rarely the problem with your file being corrupted.
You can find Pakcet tracer versions here and download the one you need:
https://www.computernetworkingnotes.com/ccna-study-guide/download-packet-tracer-for-windows-and-linux.html