Views
Helpful
Replies

Remove 3750 from stack

ettore.lunardi
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys,

I've to remove two 3750 from a stack (with 4 switches) : there is a guide line to "recycle" the 2 switches (I need create a new stack and I'm afraid that once removed the switches maintaine the old configuration, neither are the master in the old stack) or it's enough write erase the configuration?

Thanks in advance for your support,

Ettore

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Each stack member maintains a copy of the stack config.  If you boot the separated switch members, either individually or as a stack of two, they will logically be the device they were removed from (of course, missing the other stack members that are no longer connected).

However, once you have the removed stack members on-line you can reconfigure them, including, if desired, erasing their configuration.  (If you have them as a new stack of two, any reconfiguration will apply to both stack members.)

The only issue you really need to be careful up, don't have the original stack remaining members and the pulled stack members on-line, on the same network, at the same time (again, as they will believe they are the one and same device).

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Each stack member maintains a copy of the stack config.  If you boot the separated switch members, either individually or as a stack of two, they will logically be the device they were removed from (of course, missing the other stack members that are no longer connected).

However, once you have the removed stack members on-line you can reconfigure them, including, if desired, erasing their configuration.  (If you have them as a new stack of two, any reconfiguration will apply to both stack members.)

The only issue you really need to be careful up, don't have the original stack remaining members and the pulled stack members on-line, on the same network, at the same time (again, as they will believe they are the one and same device).

ettore.lunardi
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Joseph,

thank you for your reply.

Let me ask you if before to power off the switch to remove there is some command to untie the switch from the stach so that when I reconfigue the removed switches I don't have any trace of residual configurations of the stack OR if I can clean uo them only one I removed them ...

I'm unsure.

I recall you can access individual stack members, so it may be possible to erase specific stack member's startup configuration before you remove it from the stack.  Of course, don't save the stack's configuration until after you done this and removed the stack member(s), otherwise I would expect a fresh save to restore all stack members configuration copy.

Personally, what I've done in the past, is clear the configuration after removing the stack member(s).

I'll try to remove the first switch cleaning the configuration after moving: if I have some trouble, I'll proceed otherwise as you described.

Thank you for your help Joseph!