cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CIsco RV130W - The router is slow to navigate the internet, how to fix?

Guarino01
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 2 RV Series 130 wireless VPN routers connected to each other.  The VPN functions excellently.  However connection to the internet is...odd.

On some pages, not all, you will connect and the page will not load just a loading symbol however the moment you hit refresh the page instantly loads.  It does the same thing when you are working with the routers configurations.  I will click on lan the screen will go white, I will wait a few moments then click refresh and instead of refreshing the page will instantly load.  This happens on both routers.  I have eliminated all of the firewall defenses in order to speed things up but nothing seems to change it.

Just for diagnostics.

Have the latest firmware installed.

Each router is set to gateway, as a static IP.  Each router connects a VPN to each other soley for the purpose of IP Phones (nothing else needs the VPN tunnel).  About 50 devices are connecting to the Routers.  Wireless is setup and running. Otherwise the setup is...well default. 

Any clues as to what causes this issue?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

24 Replies 24

When I changed the Encryption to DES our IP phone system stopped (Mitel 5000) functioning correctly. However changing the Group to 1 was successful.  But no real impact on internet browsing and speed.  

That's strange.  The encryption should have no affect on the information passing through the tunnel.  Have you tried factory defaulting the unit and setting up the configuration from scratch?  That's the only thing left that I know to try.  Unless there's a ridiculous amount of traffic going through the tunnel for some reason.

Huntsville's Premiere Car and Bike e-magazine: www.huntsvillecarscene.com

Tell be about it.  Putting in the VPN has been a nightmare.  As a side note, the on the other side of the VPN all of the computers are having SSL certificate errors. right and left.  Could that be related.

One side slow internet, other side Security Certificate errors. Text Below

"outlook.office365.com" 

the name on the security certificate is invalid or does not match the name of the site 

I'm stumped at this point about what in the tunnel setup could be causing the problem.  A tunnel usually just works without issues or causing other issues.

Well thank you for your thoughts on the matter.  

I would just factory default the configuration and set it up on both sides again from scratch.  This is especially important if you did any type of firmware update without defaulting and rebuilding the config from scratch.

Reset both back to factory settings, programed in the Static IP for connections and rebuilt the VPN.  No resolution to the problems.  As for frimwre the routers came with the most up to date version.

Problem persist.  Checked the band width that the VPN is using and it seems very much in line, no where near the upload throughput that we have.

Wow.  Well, it doesn't seem likely that both rv130s are bad.  And while it is quite rare, an unknown conflict between ISP hardware and the rv130s would be my only guess at this point.  I bet vpn routers by another manufacturer will work without an issue.  It must be something about this particular network configuration with these devices. :(

mpyhala
Level 7
Level 7

Guarino01,

Browse to QoS-> Bandwidth Management and enable it. 

Enter your Upstream and Downstream bandwidth as advertised by your ISP (use an online coversion tool if necessary).

Save the settings and tell us if that helps.

- Marty

Wow I had the same problem and that seemed to have fixed it for me right now, it didn't happen again (yet) since I made your modification.

Thanks!