Hi,

How can I limit the bandwidth on cisco Router

ISR 4431 interface (Gig)

If  I have 50 Mbps link

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi @rizwan ahmad 

I believe this guide can hel you

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/ios-xml/ios/qos_plcshp/configuration/xe-3s/qos-plcshp-xe-3s-book/qos-plcshp-pct-shp.html

Basically you are going to create a

policy and class map

Inside the

class map

you can use the command shape

shape average percent <XX>   be 300 ms bc 400 ms

If your interface is

1 Giga (1000 Mbps)

and you want to limit it to 50Mbps you need to replace

XX by 5

which means 5% of the bandwidth.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Hi @rizwan ahmad 

I believe this guide can hel you

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/ios-xml/ios/qos_plcshp/configuration/xe-3s/qos-plcshp-xe-3s-book/qos-plcshp-pct-shp.html

Basically you are going to create a

policy and class map

Inside the

class map

you can use the command shape

shape average percent <XX>   be 300 ms bc 400 ms

If your interface is

1 Giga (1000 Mbps)

and you want to limit it to 50Mbps you need to replace

XX by 5

which means 5% of the bandwidth.

There's nothing wrong with what Flavio suggests, just some additional factoids, you might want to be aware of.

First, you can limit egress rate either policing (drops overrate) or shaping (queues overrate).  Of the two, I generally suggest shaping (which is what Flavio suggested).

Second, although Flavio suggests using a percentage based shaper, I believe your device might also support an explicit (and traditional) bps shaping too.  In a usage case like yours, I think using a explicit bps value is

clearer

(QoS statements that support percentages are more useful when you want to use similar percentages on various interfaces.)

Third, I generally recommend, unless you really understand what you're doing, you use default values for optional values.  In this case, if optional, do you know the be 300 ms and bc 400 ms values are better than the defaults?

Lastly, in my experience, many Cisco shapers (and policers) don't allow for L2 overhead for bandwidth usage, so you might find using 50 Mbps (however you configure it) actually overdrives 50 Mbps which does account for L2 overhead.  It's easy to set a lower bandwidth rate then your nominal bandwidth, but, unfortunately, L2 overheads vary based on packet's size.  Usually, I've found using a 15% reduction, for L2 overhead, works well.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card