cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Small Business Products Warranty Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

DonInCanada
Level 1
Level 1

I have a challenge.   On a small 3 workstation network, I have a Cisco RV120W VPN Router.  When my ISP upgraded to a Hitron Modem, we began getting intermittent, and random Modem "Flapping", where the modem  would reboot itself, for no apparent reason.  The ISP company replaced the modem 3 times, changed all the cabling and connectors from the outside node port to my 4th floor office, we changed out all hubs to a 8 port switch to make all workstations and printers direct connected, insured all cables were as short as possible to avoid RF buildup on the lines, and still, the modem flapped. 

We then experienced a total system internet outage.  The ISP pinged the Modem, and it was fine,  the WI-Fi showed active, but no response.  We replaced the router and everything came back online.  My challenge is that I have a faulty Cisco Router, my original vendor is MIA, and I am told that the only way I can get "warranty" is to "buy"a service contract.  Can anyone give any suggestions or recommendations? 

6 Replies 6

Hello,

before anything else, most of the problems with the small business routers are related to outdated firmware. 1.0.5.9 is the latest version, do you have that installed ?

I was assured that it was the latest firmware, therefore we thought we could take it out of the troubleshooting protocol.

Hello,

just double check to make sure. That said, you could also try and downgrade to an earlier firmware release, like 1.0.4.10 or 1.0.5.6

Thank you for the suggestions.  I was hoping that there would be a "warranty" solution, to have the Cisco experts investigate this fault, and perhaps to learn how this occurred, and thus, evolve future routers with the knowledge.  

Thank you to all that looked at this situation. I now consider this issue closed. As we could not get any resolution from Cisco, we had to move on to another Router company and so far, all of our network challenges have been resolved. The conclusion is that the Cisco Router failed, as well as the company's ability to support the product. As a person with 30 + years in the I.T. industry, I understand the challenges in the evolving industry and how everything is "disposable", however, "Service" should not be one of those items.

Hello,

in your original post you said 'my original vendor is MIA'. Where did you purchase the device, and how long ago ?

I know you are fed up with this entire issue, I am just thinking that at the very least there must be a way to get some sort of support based on the fact that you legally bought the device from an authorized reseller...

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card