cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

HSRP Not Establishing but L2 Connectivity Verified

4665dridley
Level 1
Level 1

Replacing some old cisco routers with 8500's running 17.9.4a.  They are connected to a Nexus 7K, on the same card.  The routers can ping one another and establish BGP but they will not establish the HSRP adjacently across the 7K.  If the 8500's are connected directly, HSRP will establish.  The 7K config is very simple, just both ports in the same VLAN for each router uplink.  

5 Replies 5

Hello,

I think IGMP snooping is enabled by default on the Nexus, which might prevent the multicast packets used by HSRP (224.0.0.2) from being propagated. Try and disable IGMP snooping at least for the Vlan the HSRP ports belong to...

Hello @Georg Pauwen ,

IGMP snooping should not block / process link local multicast addresses but the Nexus may be directing the HSRP hellos to its main cpu instead of propagating them for some VPC feature.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

4665dridley
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks for the responses and insight.  We performed some addition testing today.  We moved these connections down to a Nexus 5K and HSRP works across them.  Same VLANs that were tested on the 7K's.  The 5K's are connected to the 7Ks via VPC.  We do suspect it could be related to a local VPC issue between the 7Ks.  When you look at a trace, you can see the traffic going to the correct MAC addresses and the fact that you have L2 connectivity and can ping across the routers even when HSRP does not work seems odd.

@Giuseppe Larosa Thanks for the explanation. I guess I completely misunderstood the relationship between IGMP snooping and HSRP traffic...:(

Either way, that does not seem to be the problem...

ethanalyzer local interface inband host 224.0.0.2 

If you see any packet then hsrp is punt to cpu if you dont see any packet the  packet not punt to cpu.

Check and share output if there is

Note:-do this in both NSK

MHM

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card