Helpful
Replies

IP SLA - Suggestions

mikedeyoung
Level 1
Level 1

All...

I have ISP1 and ISP2

Want to create IP SLA monitor (ICMP Echo type) and tracking object and link to default route (to monitor reachability of default route).

Then want to create second default route with high AD (for backup).

Question... I do not want to use GW IP for ICMP echo... because in my experience most of the time it is not local GW that faults but rather something in service-provider backbone. 

ISP1 is Frontier business-grade fiber... how to determine good IP in Frontier cloud to use for ICMP echo probe?

Thx for any help.

mdy

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

mdy

You ask an interesting question. And you make a good point that frequently a failure that impacts your functionality is not the gateway interface but something in the ISP network. I had the same question with a customer when I was helping them to improve their BGP configuration. They were able to identify two publically available devices within their ISP's network and we tested accessibility to those IPs. I do not know enough about Frontier to identify good candidate addresses. I hope you know more about them than I do, but you might consider looking for something like a web server, or a billing server, or a customer service server, or a DNS server in their network that could work for you.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

mdy

You ask an interesting question. And you make a good point that frequently a failure that impacts your functionality is not the gateway interface but something in the ISP network. I had the same question with a customer when I was helping them to improve their BGP configuration. They were able to identify two publically available devices within their ISP's network and we tested accessibility to those IPs. I do not know enough about Frontier to identify good candidate addresses. I hope you know more about them than I do, but you might consider looking for something like a web server, or a billing server, or a customer service server, or a DNS server in their network that could work for you.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hello,

on a side note, a lot of people use 8.8.8.8 as target for the ICMP. The Google DNS server is supposed to never go down, so if it is unreachable, you can be pretty sure that something in your provider network is failing.

I am glad that my suggestion was helpful. Thank you for marking this question as solved. This will help other readers in the forum to identify discussions which have helpful information.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card