cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Issue with packet tracer 1.3.6 Configuring SSH

jasonfaas
Level 1
Level 1

I have been having issues with 1.3.6 Configuring SSH. When I complete it, it says the username has an issue, but I have done it the way I have always known to do it. I have watched others do it online as well the same way and its completed. Any ideas? I have tried changing name to admin, changing to SSHv2, etc and nothing works.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

I think your simulation is wrong.

There is some truth in the fact that password type 0 and type 7 are deprecated. So password type 0 and type 7, used for administrator login to Console, Telnet, SSH, webUI, and NETCONF, must be migrated to password type 8 or type 9.

In your simulation you have available a password type 5 which is MD5 HASHED and this is not deprecated. You also don't have the option to configure type 8 or type 9 passwords.

Your simulation is penalising you for configuring a password type that is not deprecated and it doesn't offer you the option to configure type 8 or type 9 passwords.

In order to configure type 8 or type 9 passwords, you should issue the following commands:

username administrator algorithm-type sha256 secret cisco ### for type 8

username administrator algorithm-type scrypt secret cisco ### for type 9

The last two command are also not available in your simulation.

Regards, LG
*** Please Rate All Helpful Responses ***

View solution in original post

Deprecated means that it will not be available in the future as a configuration option. For some commands, Cisco IOS tells you that the command will be deprecated and also suggests alternative replacement command or method of configuration.

As for the lab file, I guess it can be a bug or someone made a mistake when configuring the options for the lab. I am 99% certain that the way the username is configured is the only way available for configuration.

Regards, LG

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

liviu.gheorghe
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hello @jasonfaas ,

What is the exact message you receive?

I looked at your Packet Tracer file and everything seems configured correctly. I can ssh from the PC to the switch and authenticate with username administrator and password cisco.

Regards, LG

jasonfaas
Level 1
Level 1

When you check the results, it says its only 80/100 and it says the Username (depracated) is the issue

I tried entering 

username administrator secret cisco

and there is no message like the one you mentioned.

I saw that the score result is 80/100, but I don't know why it's like this. Everything on the PT activity is done. Maybe it's a problem with the grading and you should ask the persons who administer this test.

Regards, LG

jasonfaas
Level 1
Level 1

jasonfaas_0-1712429455813.png

I think your simulation is wrong.

There is some truth in the fact that password type 0 and type 7 are deprecated. So password type 0 and type 7, used for administrator login to Console, Telnet, SSH, webUI, and NETCONF, must be migrated to password type 8 or type 9.

In your simulation you have available a password type 5 which is MD5 HASHED and this is not deprecated. You also don't have the option to configure type 8 or type 9 passwords.

Your simulation is penalising you for configuring a password type that is not deprecated and it doesn't offer you the option to configure type 8 or type 9 passwords.

In order to configure type 8 or type 9 passwords, you should issue the following commands:

username administrator algorithm-type sha256 secret cisco ### for type 8

username administrator algorithm-type scrypt secret cisco ### for type 9

The last two command are also not available in your simulation.

Regards, LG

jasonfaas
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you very much for the detailed response.  What does the term "deprecated" mean in this context exactly?  Also is this some sort of bug or did the creator of the file somehow create that requirement and inadvertently remove those two options?  Also I dont even see the algorithm-type option for creating the local database user, only on the "enable secret..." options.  I tried this on a new packet tracer file and didnt find the "username administrator algorithm-type" option on anything.  I know I have used that command before in previous classes, but I am saw on another forum that the algorithm-type command wasnt available until IOS 15.3 and 15.2 is all that is available in PT.  I think I may have used that command in Netlab and not PT.

Deprecated means that it will not be available in the future as a configuration option. For some commands, Cisco IOS tells you that the command will be deprecated and also suggests alternative replacement command or method of configuration.

As for the lab file, I guess it can be a bug or someone made a mistake when configuring the options for the lab. I am 99% certain that the way the username is configured is the only way available for configuration.

Regards, LG
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card