Replies

IWAN design questions

p.hruby
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I'd like to ask couple of questions regarding IWAN2.0/PfRv3 design

• What DMVPN phase is supported?
  • Is it possible to terminate both MPLS and Internet WAN connections on single Hub BR?
    • PfRv3 configuration guide: "You can configure more than one WAN interface on the same device. You can have multiple hub border devices"
    • IWAN design guide: "There can be only one WAN interface on the hub device"
  • Is it possible to configure hub MC on the same router where hub BR is configured?
    • IWAN design guide: "There is only one hub MC per IWAN domain, and you cannot configure the hub BR on the same router platform." 
    • Docwiki: "Master Controller (MC) is the policy decision maker. At a large site, such as data center or campus, the MC is a standalone chassis. For smaller branch locations, the MC is typically collocated (configured) on the same platform as the border router." 
    • Is it really strict requirement to separate MC and BR at hub site or is it just question of hub size? I.e. should I configure both on the same router in lab environment?

Petr

6 Replies 6

Philip D'Ath
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

1. Don't know.  It doesn't matter as long as all devices have similar software versions.

2. Yes, you can terminate MPLS and Internet WAN connections on a single hub.  Just use two Tunnel interfaces.

3. Haven't done this in a long time, but yes the same device can be a hub mc and a hub br at the same time.

If you have a massive network you would want  separate a separate MC.  A nice and cheap way to get a separate MC is to use a low cost router like a Cisco 890 series.  It comes with advanced IP (so has every feature enabled) and comes with 512MB to 1GB of RAM depending on model, so could cope with quite a large network.  Let me recommend the Cisco 891F in particular.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/routers/800-series-routers/data_sheet_c78-519930.html

I frequently use 890 series for branch routers as well.  The 890 series can flat line a 100Mb/s circuit with everything turned on.  My favourite branch routers are the 897 and 891-24X (the 891-24X has a 24 port switch built into it with 8 of those ports being PoE).

Thanks Philip.

Hi Philip,

We just got a 891F router, does it support PfR v3, it doesn't seem to take the 'Domain' config command..?

Regards,

Jie

1. Which C890 series routers are supported as IWAN branch BRs?

The consensus is that most of the C89x routers can be used as spoke BRs. Internally there are two

different models, 890-A and 890-B.  The 890-B is the model that can be used for IWAN BR. The following

table lists current set of C89x series routers that can used as IWAN branch BRs. 

C891F-K9

C896VA-K9

C897VAM-W-E-K9

C897VAGW-LTE-GAEK9

C899G-LTE-GA-K9

C891-24X-K9

C896VAG-LTE-GA-K9

C897VA-M-K9

C897VAG-LTE-LA-K9

C899G-LTE-VZ-K9

C891FW-A-K9

C897VAG-LTE-GA-K9

C899G-LTE-NA-K9

C891FW-E-K9

C897VA-K9

C897VAMG-LTE-GA-K9

C898EA-K9

C899G-LTE-ST-K9

C897VAW-A-K9

C897VAB-K9

C898EAG-LTE-GA-K9

C899G-LTE-JP-K9

C892FSP-K9

C897VAW-E-K9

C898EAG-LTE-LA-K9

C899G-LTE-LA-K9

C891F-K9 does support Pfrv3.

Thanks Gaurav, after upgrading the IOS I can see that it does support PfRv3.

Regards,

Jie

Hi Philip,

For Q3. What if you have 3 BR, in PfRv3 it is possible all of them be configured as MC/BR? If Not, is it possible to configure at least two MC/BR in HA with ip anycast?

Regards,

Naldo

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card