cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Multiple sub interfaces with Native vlan's?

jroy777
Level 1
Level 1

Sorry, I am reposting because I want the community to see this because where I previously posted, the thread shows resolved already.

I have an ASR 10g interface that is connected to a native vlan1 in a HP switching fabric (8 switches) for databases (inside for ASA), now I want to create a sub interface on that same 10g interface to another set of switches that are also on a separate switch fabric (4 switches) app/web servers dmz on ASA). Currently they talk to each only thru ASA. since both sets of switches are vlan1, how would I do this? The other side of ASR goes to AWS Direct connect environment and we need to move data between Data Center and AWS.

2 Replies 2

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Post some diagram here to understand, how is ASA configured in Transparent or routed mode ?

high level you can create same way other sub interface and make sure your Layer 2 connected to right 

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello @jroy777 ,

each subinterface must use a different encapsulation , a different VLAN ID  and only one can use the native keyword on a single main interface.

So you need to see if you have another physical interface that you can use the restrictions above apply to subinterfaces of a single main interface not to subifs of different physical interfaces.

Another option is to have the second block of switches mapped to a different VLAN ID on the first block of HP switches using an access link ( no trunk mode  vlan 1 on second block side vlan x on HP switch side).  This way you could use a subinterface in vlan x on a single main 10GE interface on the ASR.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card