cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Need help on how to setup static routing Using CBS350

Capslock
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I'm trying to configure a connection between 2 house network as in the image and I need help on how to configure the switch to make all device able to connect to device on the other network.
Untitled Diagram(3).drawio.png

I've check both router and see static routing menu on web GUI, so I believe both of my consumer router are support static routing.
FYI, I don't have any knowledge on networking and don't know what I'm doing so a detail step-by-step explanation would be much appreciated.

2 Replies 2

Hello,

basically, you need to enable IP routing on the CBS 350, and then configure Vlans and Vlan interfaces. Static routing can be configured from the command line as well (ip route 192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0 192.168.1.1/ip route 192.168.2.0 255.255.255.0 192.168.2.1).

You can use the guide below. IP addressing arbitrary, just make sure you use the same IP address on the CBS 350 and your two other routers.

To configure the Cisco CBS 350 switch for Layer 3 functionality, you need to enable IP routing and configure VLAN interfaces to perform inter-VLAN routing. Here's a step-by-step guide:

1. **Access the CLI:**
Connect to the switch's CLI using a terminal emulation program such as PuTTY, SecureCRT, or directly through a console cable.

2. **Enter Privileged EXEC Mode:**
Enter privileged EXEC mode by typing:
```
enable
```
Then, enter the privileged EXEC mode password if prompted.

3. **Enter Global Configuration Mode:**
Enter global configuration mode by typing:
```
configure terminal
```

4. **Enable IP Routing:**
Enable IP routing on the switch using the `ip routing` command:
```
ip routing
```

5. **Create VLANs:**
Create VLANs using the `vlan <vlan_id>` command. For example, to create VLAN 10 and VLAN 20, you would use:
```
vlan 10
name VLAN10
exit
vlan 20
name VLAN20
```

6. **Assign Interfaces to VLANs:**
Assign switch interfaces to VLANs using the `interface <interface>` command followed by the `switchport access vlan <vlan_id>` command. For example, to assign interface GigabitEthernet1/0/1 to VLAN 10, you would use:
```
interface GigabitEthernet1/0/1
switchport mode access
switchport access vlan 10
```

7. **Configure VLAN Interfaces:**
Create VLAN interfaces for each VLAN using the `interface vlan <vlan_id>` command. Assign an IP address and subnet mask to each VLAN interface. For example, to configure VLAN interfaces for VLAN 10 and VLAN 20, you would use:
```
interface vlan 10
ip address 192.168.1.2 255.255.255.0
exit
interface vlan 20
ip address 192.168.2.2 255.255.255.0
```

8. **Configure Default Gateway:**
Optionally, configure a default gateway for the switch using the `ip default-gateway <gateway_ip>` command. This is typically the IP address of the router that connects the switch to other networks.

9. **Test Connectivity:**
Test inter-VLAN connectivity by connecting devices to different VLANs and verifying that they can communicate with each other.

10. **Save Configuration:**
Save the configuration to the switch's memory to ensure that it persists across reboots by typing:
```
write memory
``

Capslock
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, thank you for a step-by-step detailed explanation.
I've follow your guide but still can't connect to the device in another network.
I already configure static routing at the internet router to point to cisco switch (cisco IP at 192.168.9.66)
but tracert to 192.168.1.1 still hop to external IP.
What could be the problem here? Did I configure my internet router incorrectly or does it not support static routing?
Here is what I've configure on the internet router and part of tracert result.Static routing on internet routerStatic routing on internet router
Tracert resultTracert result

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card