Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus 93180YC-EX NAT between VLANs

Tibor M
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I'm trying to achieve totally simple thing - NAT between VLANs... I have one testing scenario where our QAs need to have all traffic from one VLAN NATed (hidden) as another VLAN IP, but I cannot do it on firewall as I need to keep 10gbps speed (and firewall is just 1gpbs).

So I have configured standard Dynamic NAT with overload and because HSRP which we normally use doesn't support dynamic NAT I have removed HSRP from both Vlan 133 and 135 and kept both routing only on one switch (it's lab, it's not a problem). See the pictures below. 

Problem is that only first 2 ICMP packets went through and rest is not returning to source host, but destination serve see NATed packed with Vlan IP address and returning ICMP back.

I can see also translations in "show ip nat translations"

any idea please?

Config

nexus_config.png

Source server pinging destination and 10.16.133.0/24 should be hidden as 10.16.135.1

source_server_ping.png

I can see translations

nexus_ip_nat.png

Destination see ICMP request coming in, replying, but this reply never come back through NAT

destination_server_reply.png

Thanks a lot

4 Replies 4

Hello,

as far as I recall, ICMP is 'throttled' by default on the Nexus 9K. 

--> Hardware programming is introduced for ICMP on Cisco Nexus 9300 platform switches.
Therefore, the ICMP entries consume the TCAM resources in the hardware.
Because ICMP is in the hardware, the maximum limit for NAT translation in Cisco Nexus platform Series switches is changed to 1024.
Maximum of 100 ICMP entries are allowed to make the best usage of the resources.

You might want to try and set/toggle the below values:

ip nat translation icmp-timeout 100
ip nat translation creation-delay 250

Now it's even worst. I see just 1 reply on source server

I just need that it works as standard ISR router or ASA here

Hello,

as stated, toggle and try different values. E.g.:

ip nat translation icmp-timeout 10
ip nat translation creation-delay 10

unfortunately not, tried different values for both, it's same...

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card