Views
Helpful
Replies

Partner router vs Internet router Separation

Isaac001
Level 1
Level 1

Topology.pngDear Community,

In large enterprise networks design, I see routers named Partner router for p2p links connections that come to the enterprise  and Internet router for internet services purely. Why is it common to separate partner connectivity services and internet service connectivity?

I have attached the general topology

Regards,

Isaac.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Isaac,

You are right - from a technical point of view, VRF's can help you with the separation of traffic and some of the security concerns.

On the other hand, from a operational point of view, I would go with the separation of functions - Internet and Partners - in a network design. Think of a case in which you have to perform maintenance on the router. If the router is common for Internet and Partners, you will be affecting every user in the organisation as well as the partners. If you have two routers, maintenance on the partner router only affects the partners.

Regards, LG
*** Please Rate All Helpful Responses ***

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

liviu.gheorghe
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hello @Isaac001 ,

historically you considered partners more trustworthy than the Internet. You can have leased lines connecting the partners to the "Partner router" which is somewhat safer than connecting partners through the internet and allow a more permisive access for partners than the one you allow for users coming from the Internet.

Regards, LG

Hi liviu,

Thanks for answering the question and I got some understanding from it. However, what would happen if you used the same router for internet service and partner service(mpls, p2p links). Would vrfs help if its a security concern?

Regards,

Isaac.

Hi Isaac,

You are right - from a technical point of view, VRF's can help you with the separation of traffic and some of the security concerns.

On the other hand, from a operational point of view, I would go with the separation of functions - Internet and Partners - in a network design. Think of a case in which you have to perform maintenance on the router. If the router is common for Internet and Partners, you will be affecting every user in the organisation as well as the partners. If you have two routers, maintenance on the partner router only affects the partners.

Regards, LG

BTW, my prior reply was composed without seeing this response, where you also asked about using VRFs.

The other posters have mentioned having two routers one Internet and one for private networks minimizes impact of failure and or make operations somewhat easier.  Well, yes and no.  For both, often like to have redundancy for both, which might imply having four routers or using two that support both functions.

Again, "book" designs often try to keep functions separate but they often also assume you have an unlimited budget.

"Real world" designs might trade off things because of budget or might be "messy" due to network growth.

So, just keep in mind "book" designs often gloss over "real world" issues/considerations.

As an example, if we have an Internet and Partner routers, it's nice their configurations can be tailored for their roles, and perhaps acceptable that if one of those routers fails, or we need to take it down for maintenance, "only" Internet or Partners are impacted.

However, in my experience, Enterprises often prefer to avoid outages.  So, if we have just to routers, if they are both configured for both roles, Internet and Partners, possibly we can avoid the outright loss of either.  Having both roles on the same router is more complex, something "book" designs tend to avoid.

BTW, don't misunderstand, there's nothing wrong with "book" designs, especially for helping to make clear good design practices, but often such designs don't take into account all the network issues they need to.

Further understand many an actual real world design is far from ideal, but how it got to be what it is, might have been on a very tortured path.  Including reasons as @liviu.gheorghe mentioned in his initial reply, i.e. Partner networks were often considered "safer", from a security perspective, then the Internet.

Lastly, the reason I'm bringing this up, is so often dealing with new network engineers who have seen the classic 3 tier network design and sort of believe anything else is inherently "defective" in design (which might be the case, laugh) but that doesn't necessarily mean the network doesn't meet network needs or an ideal design would be actually better in meeting network needs.  (Of course, if you can convince management to totally refresh the network. . .)

Hi Joseph,

Thanks for your response. I asked the question because in my career I have come across this design separation of router roles but I really didn't understand why they were setting it up that way, instead of bundling everything on one router. The VRF option was not the real focus of my query.

Regards,

Isaac.

Can You share photo

Let me check it

MHM

Hi MHM,

Thanks for your interest, kindly see attached the general topologyTopology.png

Regards,

Isaac

Your last comment is exactly what in my mind 

Using one router with multi vrf

But with two router you get 

1- two failure points' if one router down you can shift traffic to other router 

2- dedicated router for vpn

MHM

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

"Real world" or "book" designs?

For the especially the latter, as @liviu.gheorghe already touched upon, there are security considerations that can be easier addressed by having separate routers, especially without VRF.

Also, separate routers make it a bit easier if you need to change the routers based on changing network requirements.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card