Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Question about 2911 router

We've recently added an additional T-1 at a site, which we'll bring up with the existing T-1 as a bonded T-1. Our router, 2811, only has one serial interface, so we're going to purchase a new router (it's also EOL). Looking at the 2911, it shows it has '4 enhanced high-speed WAN interface card slots', but does that translate to 'serial interfaces'? We'll have to configure Multilink to complete this circuit upgrade. I'm a little confused, so let me know if you have further questions....

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/routers/2911-integrated-services-router-isr/index.html

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

The WAN ports on the modules mentioned above are serial ports. The only onboard WAN ports are 10/100/1000 GigabitEthernet. So in any case you need to purchase one or more of the modules mentioned above.

To be clear, the 2911 comes with 4 empty WAN slots. The modules need to be inserted to get a serial port.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Christopher,

you can insert all sorts of modules into the card slots. In your case, for T1 (serial interface), there are numerous options:

VWIC3-4MFT-T1/E1 --> 4 port T1

VWIC3-2MFT-T1/E1 --> 2 port T1

VWIC3-1MFT-T1/E1 --> 1 port T1

gpauwen,  thanks for the quick reply. Yes, I can purchase different modules for the 2911, but what I'm wondering is if these WAN ports are actually serial ports. Or would I need to by a separate card.

The WAN ports on the modules mentioned above are serial ports. The only onboard WAN ports are 10/100/1000 GigabitEthernet. So in any case you need to purchase one or more of the modules mentioned above.

To be clear, the 2911 comes with 4 empty WAN slots. The modules need to be inserted to get a serial port.

Thanks. Appreciate your time.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card