Views
Helpful
Replies

Router on stick in serie 800 router

fcodiazj
Level 1
Level 1

Good afternoon:

Run a simulation in packet tracer to implement a router on stick with two vlans. The simulation worked without problems, and I want to implement the same on my cisco 867VAE router.

This equipment has a Giga interface for WAN (Ge1), and four FastEthernet interfaces + 1 Giga interface (Ge0) for LAN, all of them in an integrated switch. I want to use the Giga LAN interface to manage the vlans, but the router won't let me create the necessary subinterfaces. After doing some research, I found this link which says that subinterfaces are only available for interfaces in router mode (https://community.cisco.com/t5/switching/cannot-access-subinterface-on-gigabit-ethernet-ports /td-p/4665192).
This brings me to the questions that I ask you to help me answer:

Is there any way to configure the cisco 867VAE router to use the Ge0 interface in router mode? (I don't need the other Fe interfaces)

In case of not being able to use the Ge0 interface in router mode, how do you suggest configuring the router to be able to manage the vlans? (Consider that the router is in charge of delivering IP addresses to each of the computers that connect to the vlans)

Thanks in advance for your time and help.

8 Replies 8

why you need subinterface, 
you can use VLAN SVI and add as much as you want 

fcodiazj
Level 1
Level 1

I want to use subinterfaces because that was what I simulated in packet tracer, and it is what the literature indicates as the easiest and fastest way to solve my problem.

Since this solution didn't work, because it is implicitly confirmed that interfaces in switch mode do not have subinterfaces, I am just studying new possible solutions and their impact.

I thank you for your suggestion.

Martin L
VIP
VIP

867VAE router may not have such capability. try different router Or use 2 router interfaces

you can attach PT file here in zip format

Packet Tracer, aka PT from Cisco Net Academy, is just a software Simulator; it does not run on real IOS or virtual IOS; It is close to IOS but It does not really behave like real IOS would (some simply features do).
PT is excellent tool to learn and practice networking fundamentals and commands for CCNA exam.
Regards, ML
**Please Rate All Helpful Responses **

Hello
Have you tried putting the interface in router mode?

int Ge0
no switchport

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

abdemiller87
Level 1
Level 1
  1. Router on a Stick (RoS) Configuration: In a Cisco 800 series router, the Router on a Stick (RoS) configuration allows for the setup of multiple virtual LANs (VLANs) using a single physical interface.

2. Single Physical Interface: The router uses a single physical interface to connect to a switch, and this interface is configured with subinterfaces, each assigned to a specific VLAN.

3. VLAN Tagging: VLAN tagging is implemented through the use of IEEE 802.1Q encapsulation, allowing the router to distinguish between different VLANs on the same physical link.

4. Inter-VLAN Routing: The router, acting as a Layer 3 device, facilitates communication between different VLANs by routing traffic between the subinterfaces.

5. Trunk Configuration: The connection between the router and the switch is configured as a trunk to carry traffic for multiple VLANs.

6. Cisco 800 Series Router Features: The Cisco 800 series router provides a compact and versatile solution like apk, suitable for small to medium-sized networks, with features like security, VPN support, and quality of service (QoS) capabilities.

7. Efficient Network Segmentation: Router on a Stick in the Cisco 800 series ensures efficient network segmentation, optimizing traffic flow and enhancing overall network performance.

8. Integration with AAAD APK: The AAAD APK complements the Cisco 800 series router by providing a comprehensive suite of assistance and development tools, seamlessly integrating with the network infrastructure for enhanced user experience and productivity.

9. Unified Platform: The combination of Router on a Stick in the Cisco 800 series and the AAAD APK creates a unified platform that addresses both networking and user-centric needs, streamlining operations.

10. Enhanced Network Management: The AAAD APK's tools for network monitoring, troubleshooting, and user support contribute to the efficient management of the Cisco 800 series router in a Router on a Stick configuration, ensuring a positive and integrated network environment.

Hello

@fcodiazj wrote:

I found this link which says that subinterfaces are only available for interfaces in router mode

So the interface needs to be a routed interface (meaning it will have  ip address(s) assigned to them (physical ports /SVIs)
Sometimes you may need to disable the default L2 port so it becomes a L3 routed port as I have shown in my previous post.

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

chrislemon12
Level 1
Level 1

Interesting challenge with the 867VAE and trying to set it up for router-on-a-stick configuration. It seems like the limitation around subinterfaces is a tricky one. Have you considered any workarounds like using a different interface or a VLAN configuration that doesn't rely on subinterfaces? Would be great to hear if anyone's managed to configure VLANs on this model in a similar scenario.

Interested in the 'Router on stick' setup with Cisco 800 series routers. Oh, and you mentioned osteopatia ivrea

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card