cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Setting a GRE tunnels between a NAT to a public IP.

jonmo2578
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone.. i have been looking through multiple posts on the forum for similar cases but have not found the answer Im looking for.. I've been primarily using this thread for guidance. https://community.cisco.com/t5/networking-knowledge-base/setting-up-a-gre-tunnel-ip-nat-gre-and-ipsec/ta-p/4017427

I am trying to set up a GRE tunnel between a CIsco 8300 to a CIsco3900.. the end game is to set this up securely under a ipsec profile, but for the moment, i am struggling just to get it to work over a standard GRE tunnel between the two routers when there is NAT involved at one end.

See attached diagram for setup and config.

CIsco8300 <-> ISP router ( NAT ) <-> Internet <-> Cisco3900 ( Public IP )

Our Cisco 8300 sits behind a NATed ISP router ( which gives out 192.168.1.x addresses ).

Is it possible to set up GRE tunnel when there is NAT involved at one end, without putting the ISP router into Bridge Mode ? Im pretty sure I've been able to do this in the past but Im struggling to make it work in this instance.

The tunnel interfaces are in UP/UP state after I changed the tunnel source ( at Cisco8300 end ) from x.x.x.x to g0/0/2. However, I am unable to ping across the 169.254.0.60/30

** if I use a public IP on both Cisco 8300 end ( g0/0/2 ) and CIsco 3900 end. the GRE tunnel pings across fine ( and Im also able to secure it under a IPsec profile ).

4 Replies 4

You need to add NAT for GRE

I.e.

Ip nat inside source gre x.x.x.x x.x.x.x

This static NAT needed

MHM

Thanks for the reply.. I tried this and still no joy.. due to time constraints, I am gonna put the ISP router into Bridge Mode, however I gonna lab this up and try again another time..

I will run lab and share it here

MHM

Dan Frey
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I believe your tunnel interfaces may show up/up because GRE keepalives are not enabled in your config.   GRE keepalives can not go through NAT due to the way the keepalive is architected and the tunnel interface will go up/down if the tunnel goes through NAT.  If keepalives are disabled the tunnel interface will go up/up but GRE does not use TCP or UDP for transport and can not survive PAT since there are no ports to translate.   To survive PAT, GRE can be encapsulated in IPSEC that will detect the translation and add UDP encapsulation on port 4500.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card