cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Solutions Go Global! Accepted Solution Global Syndication PoC

Kelli Glass
Community Manager
Community Manager

Finding accurate answers to your questions and issues is always gratifying, but what if these answers are shared globally across different languages?

The Cisco Community team has been working on a proof of concept (PoC) to take Accepted Solutions in the English community global by automatically translating and syndicating these discussions to the seven other languages supported in Cisco Community. This allows community members from all around the world to have access to these solutions in their own language.  If a reply is added in any language, it will be translated and posted in all languages … truly taking the conversation global. 

When will we restart?  

After pausing the PoC to improve the translation process and quality, it will restart on November 22nd.  We will start small, by syndicating from the Routing board only and to the Spanish community only.  After verifying the new translation engine and process, we will turn on additional languages one at a time, then expand the boards. 

How to identify “Syndicated Accepted Solutions”? 

1) Syndicated content has the following disclaimer: “Note: Please pardon any grammar issues with this post. It has been translated by a machine. Cisco Community is not responsible for the accuracy of the translation. The original content may be viewed here: (link)" 

2) The author of syndicated content will display as “Translator," followed by the username of the original author, and the original language source of the content.

translator.png

How can you help to improve this global syndication?

Please make an extra effort to mark Accepted Solutions on your discussions. This not only says thank you to the solution author, it helps more community members find the valuable answer and broadens your global network.

Asolution.png

Also, take into consideration that if you post a code or configuration snippet in your questions or answer, please make sure to use the following html syntax, with the HTML, to prevent translation: "<pre>snippet</pre>."

Note: If you cannot see the "HTML/Source Code" option in the discussion editor, click on the three dots "..." to see more options in the editor menu).

htlm-source.png

Or, you can use the "Insert code" option at the menu.

Note: If you cannot see the "HTML/Source Code" option in the discussion editor, click on the three dots "..." to see more options in the editor menu).

insertcode(1).png

Sharing is caring, and we're looking to go global. Remember, this all starts with an Accepted Solution!

If you have questions, comments or suggestions, please feel free to leave a message or contact the community team.

Your Cisco Community Team

6 Replies 6

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Nice content.

Hi @Leo Laohoo 

I hope you're doing well, thank you so much for letting us know. The content has been revised. 

Good stuff ! Just a few thoughts...

I have been on this forum for a very long time, and I think it is one of, if not THE, best place(s) to get help.

However, if you start an automated process of translating accepted solutions, keep in mind this:

- Sometimes the provided solution is written in very bad English.  If something incomprehensible gets translated, by a machine, it obviously becomes even more incomprehensible. Maybe you can somehow integrate a spell checker, or better yet, ask the respective community member to check for grammar and spelling mistakes.

- I think the entire rating/accepted solution procedure can be rather confusing. Some community members put a footer in their posts explaining the rating process, others don't, but is is not uniform. Rather than having individual community members display footers in their posts, it might be a better idea to have a Cisco provided disclaimer or footer explaining how the process works.

Other than that, great initiative !

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello @Kelli Glass and the others,

an automated process of translation may not work because  if we know the language our discussions are very complex and many people carry a littlte piece to the solution

On the other hand, I'm a member of the Japanase community even if I'm not able to read  a single Japanase letter !!!

Best Regards

Giuseppe

@giuseppe

Thank you for pointing that out. We're testing the capabilities of the translation tool in this proof of concept. 

Best,

Kelli

ammahend
VIP
VIP

that's a great initiative for community

-hope this helps-
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card