Views
Helpful
Replies

Two devices with same IP adderss on two different links

MT Engineer
Level 1
Level 1

Hello team,

i need a suggestion how to solve this question.

I have a customer HQ that have to reach a customer end-point accross two links one main and other in paralllel active as backup .

The problems is that they use two workstations 1 and 2 that must have the same IP, my problem is how to have up this scenario without conflict issues and guarantee that when link1 fails the customer can exchange traffic accross link2 immediately without any manual intervention ?

Here in enclose the scenario diagram

Thanks in advance

Regards

Tom

3 Replies 3

Hello,

as long as one of the ports is shut down, you can use duplicate IP addresses. You can use an EEM script to shut one port in case the link goes down, unshut the other port, and vice versa. Post the running configuration (sh run) of the 3750 switch, so we can customize and test the suggested EEM script.

Hello Georg,

thanks for your reply , the problem is that the link1 can fail but port could be stay up in the same time, because these links are satellite links and if the customer end-point lost satellite coverage the link1 will not work but port on switch will be remain up, when link1 not work means that customer end-point is under link2 satellite coveragre so  need to find a soolution to have up this scenario .

thanks in advance for any suggestions 

RGD

Tom

Hello,

an EEM script in combination with an SLA can solve this. Basically, the SLA probes the other side, and if there is no response, the port is being shut down by the EEM. If you post the running config of the router (put a description on the interfaces to indicate which interface is the primary, and which the secondary), I can make suggestions on what to configure...

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card