cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VRRP with vPC and a third router

mbowyer
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all! I am familiar with vPC and VRRP/HSRP operation but I have a situation I haven't faced before and I need some advice:

Client has two MDF's connected via high-speed fiber (50Gbs). A legacy L3 switch in MDF1 is the core router for all VLANs today and we are adding a pair of Nx93180s into MDF2, which will be a vPC pair. vPC allows both Nexus routers configured with FHRP to respond (pseudo "active/active") and that's normally a great thing. However, in all of my previous implementations, the Nexus vPC pair are the ONLY routers participating in FHRP (usually HSRP).

In this case, the client needs to "slowly" transition the active router roll from the legacy L3 switch to the Nx9k's, which means that the legacy router must be the "active" router and both of the Nx9k's need to be "standby" until their priority is modified to be higher than the legacy router.

Will the vPC pair, with VRRP priority settings of 90 and 80 (vpc primary and secondary respectively) realize that the third router (with a priority of 150) is the "active" router and therefore, not respond to ARP messages for the VIP? Will I run into a "MAC flapping" situation, with the virtual MAC being detected on the legacy router and the primary Nexus switch?

Thanking you in advance for your support

1 Reply 1

Hello

It sounds like you need to perfrom a managed migration, Can you post a topology diagram please, 

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card