Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco SD-WAN and Riverbed Steelhead Appliance

MNour401917
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone have deployed Cisco SD-WAN with Riverbed Steelhead appliance deployed in-path?

I am looking for any compatibility issues you might have seen or what wee need to look for when designing.

Thanks

6 Replies 6

Hi @MNour401917 

Considering the SDWAN is an encrypted tunnel between cEdges or cEdges and Controllers (vSmart, vManage and vBound) I dont see where you could have problem with compatibiilty. I never saw deployment with Riverbed but I did see with CheckPoint. The thing is what this device will see is basically encrypted tunnels going back and forth.

Hi Flavio, Thank you for taking your time to respond. Riverbed will be between cEdge and Core switch on the Service side VPN's. See attached. Just asking to this if there is any design issue you might have come across with riverbed and SD-WAN.

The way I see it, the Riverbed has not to see with SDWAN as the traffic going to the Core will already be opened on the 8300.

The 9300 will not participate on the SDWAN topology.

Hi,

what are the requirements of "Riverbed Steelhead Appliance" ? For example, if WCCP is required, it is not supported by IOS XE controller mode.

HTH,
Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.

Hi Kanan, No WCCP, Riverbed is in-path. See attached.

If it is L2 transparent device or L3 routing based device and there is no special requirement from vendor, then nothing is wrong in this topology.

HTH,
Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.