cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Hot standby on vPC and want both active

tcerling
Level 4
Level 4

I will start by saying I am a networking neophyte, so I may be missing the obvious.

I added the lacp and vpc features to the 9Ks.

I am attempting to configure vPCs from a pair of Nexus 9396s to a pair of UCS 6248s.  Here is how I have them cabled.
Nexus-A 9 -> FI-A 9
Nexus-A 10 -> FI-B 9

Nexus-B 9 -> FI-A 10
Nexus-B 10 -> FI-B 10

The POs on the Nexus switches have the following members:
PO11 = Nexus-A 1/9 and Nexus-B 1/9
PO12 = Nexus-A 1/10 and Nexus-B 1/10

The show port-channel summary command on N9K-A shows this:
9396-A(config)# sho port-cha sum
Flags:  D - Down        P - Up in port-channel (members)
        I - Individual  H - Hot-standby (LACP only)
        s - Suspended   r - Module-removed
        S - Switched    R - Routed
        U - Up (port-channel)
        M - Not in use. Min-links not met
-----------------------------------------------------------
Group Port-       Type     Protocol  Member Ports
      Channel
10    Po10(SU)    Eth      LACP      Eth1/1(P)    Eth1/2(P)
11    Po11(SU)    Eth      LACP      Eth1/9(P)
12    Po12(SU)    Eth      LACP      Eth1/10(P)

The show port-channel summary command on N9K-B shows this:
9396-B(config)# sho port-chan sum
Flags:  D - Down        P - Up in port-channel (members)
        I - Individual  H - Hot-standby (LACP only)
        s - Suspended   r - Module-removed
        S - Switched    R - Routed
        U - Up (port-channel)
        M - Not in use. Min-links not met
Group Port-       Type     Protocol  Member Ports
      Channel
10    Po10(SU)    Eth      LACP      Eth1/1(P)    Eth1/2(P)
11    Po11(SD)    Eth      LACP      Eth1/9(H)
12    Po12(SD)    Eth      LACP      Eth1/10(H)

When I move to UCSM, I created Port Channel 11 on FI-A with ports 9 and 10.  I created Port Channel 12 on FI-B with ports 9 and 10.  Port-Channel 11 on FI-A shows a major error on port 10 saying it is down.  Looking at the output from above, that makes sense because FI-A 10 connects to N9K-B 9, and N9K-B is reporting port channel 11 down.

But, UCSM is also reporting a major error on Port Channel 12 on FI-B with port 9 down.  That does not make sense to me because FI-B 9 is connected to N9K-A 10, which, according to the N9K-A, is operating fine on port channel 11.  And UCSM is reporting the FI-B 10, which is connected to N9K-B 10 is working fine, but the N9K-B is reporting port channel 12 down.

I have been searching through the communities for possible resolutions.  I know the 9K is new, so I am going off posts for other switches, but it should be similar to the current 5K/7K switches, I think.  Defaults may be different, and this is the initial configuration of this 9K.

I did see a similiar post that was resolved by correcting the cabling.  To the best of my knowledge, I have the same cabling and configuration going from a pair of Nexus 5Ks to the same FIs and all ports in both port channels show Up (SU) and as Port Channel members (P).  As a result, I am prone to assume my cabling on the 9K is correct because it mirrors what I have working on the 5K.

Another post suggested manually setting the lacp port priority on each port channel, instead of letting it default, to ensure matching priorities.  It seems like this was a known issue on a much earlier release, but it was fixed in subsequent releases.  Besides, as a neophyte, I have been unable to find the commands necessary to manually set the priority.  I'm willing to give that a try, but I don't know how to.

Any other suggestions?  Am I misinterpreting anything (very possible)?

0 Replies 0