Views
Helpful
Replies

port channel 3750x stack to single 9504 with two line cards

jorge_cortez
Level 1
Level 1

hi, 

any one knows if is it possible to build a port channel that member ports are located in different line card on the 9504 nexus chasis (line cards 6494), the objective the design is to connect a 3750X stack with port channel that ends in the 9504 in both line cards. 

Also i have the doubt with a server chasis with 4 10G ports that will build a port channel to the same 9504.

thank you

Jorge Cortez

5 Replies 5

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I presume that's 9464 line cards and yes there should be no issues having a po across 2 line cards back to a stack that's actually what's usually recommend for resiliency in that type of setup

Also i have the doubt with a server chasis with 4 10G ports that will build a port channel to the same 9504

Why do you have doubts the pos can take 32 ports per po in 9k or is it something else ?

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus9000/sw/6-x/interfaces/configuration/guide/b_Cisco_Nexus_9000_Series_NX-OS_Interfaces_Configuration_Guide/b_Cisco_Nexus_9000_Series_NX-OS_Interfaces_Configuration_Guide_chapter_0110.html

Thank you Mark

yes sorry the line cards are 9464, and my doubt is not about the limits of the port channel members, my doubt was about if i can build that Port channel members in differents line cards, because in all the configuration guides never talk about ports in difference line cards to build the port channel.

thanks

I wouldn't worry I have lot of different types of Cisco chassis with line cards all our pos are split across the different cards , the po doesn't care about hardware really it just checks is the config exactly matching so it can bundle the interfaces together

example from one of them you see pos are bundled in P state and there on different mods

32     Po32(SU)        LACP      Gi1/7/45(P)    Gi2/7/45(P)
34     Po34(SU)        LACP      Gi1/8/45(P)    Gi2/8/45(P)
100    Po100(RU)        -        Te1/5/4(P)     Te1/5/5(P)

sorry, 

just one more thing, that design is also valid for the fex? can I end the uplinks of the FEX 2248 in two different line cards 9464? or is mandatory to connect all the FEX uplink to the same linecard?

Yes these line cards are all part of one chassis see themselves as one logical switch in configuration so can be split across line cards no issue