Views
Helpful
Replies

MDS 9148 - Callhome syslog event not sent

Benjamin BOHEC
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I am currently installing Cisco MDS 9148 switches and I want to configure CallHome email alerts for basic monitoring.

Email test is working well, callhome events are working well (switch reload) but when I try to perform a link failure (remove Fiber cable from active SFP), no email are sent.

I have installed other MDS before and I received these syslog events by email with this kind of test like:

System Notification from [###MDSSWITCH###]- syslog: - 2013-01-11 08:59:35 GMT+00:00 SYSLOG_ALERT 2013 Jan 11 09:59:35 [###MDSSWITCH###]%PORT-2-IF_DOWN_LINK_FAILURE: % 10%$ Interface fc1/2 is down (Link failure)

But here for these new MDS, I have performed a firmware upgrade (5.2.6b).

I use default destination-profile full_txt destination with message level at 0 and all alert-group.

All needed callhome contacts, SMTP and other config are done.

"callhome test inventory" working well.

Someone could give me some tips?

Thanks a lot.

4 Replies 4

Vu Phan
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Ben,

I believed we drop "linkfailure" notification feature from release 4.x.x. It is ennoying if you have hundreds of interfaces linkup/down.

For this newer release, to receive "linkfailure" notification by e-mail or pager, you also need to configure RMON for each interface.  It is easier to configure RMON from Device Manager and have Callhome to send out the alert

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

After a dump of the running config of this switch, it seems that by default there is a RMON configuration made (Firmware 5.2.6b). On other switch where portfailure email works, there is no RMON configuration made (Firmware 5.0.1a).

Here is the actual default RMON conf on new switches:

rmon event 1 log trap public description FATAL(1) owner PMON@FATAL

rmon event 2 log trap public description CRITICAL(2) owner PMON@CRITICAL

rmon event 3 log trap public description ERROR(3) owner PMON@ERROR

rmon event 4 log trap public description WARNING(4) owner PMON@WARNING

rmon event 5 log trap public description INFORMATION(5) owner PMON@INFO

I found that as you say there is an update of portfailure email alert on release 4.x.x.

The thing is actual switchs releases are 5.2.6b and 5.0.1a.

I check changes on release notes between these versions and I didn't see any information about changes for portfailure syslog alerts by callhome.

If it work with RMON, could you tell me what actions I need to make in order to send port failure through call home and RMON?

I will try to find it on my own too, I just would like to have a confirmation since I don't have experiences with RMON feature.

Thanks.

Hi Benjamin,

Is this what you are looking for?

config

logging level port link-failure crit

Regards,

David