cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

multiple vsans under one zone

bwindle66
Level 1
Level 1

have a requirement for multiple vsans under the same zone. I can create these but the netapp seems to only get applied to the first vsan I apply it to.

Is it something to work around with npiv? Or am I barking up the wrong tree?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

dynamoxxx
Level 5
Level 5

Brian,

can you provide more detail of what you are trying to do ? A port can be a member of only one VSAN, if you need to establish connectivity between two VSANs without merging them you need to use IVR.

@dynamoxxx

@dynamoxxx

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

dynamoxxx
Level 5
Level 5

Brian,

can you provide more detail of what you are trying to do ? A port can be a member of only one VSAN, if you need to establish connectivity between two VSANs without merging them you need to use IVR.

@dynamoxxx

@dynamoxxx

thanks for the reply, i'll try to explain more below/

best as I can tell you is I need to have the netapp be a member of more than one vsan when I am building my zones. so that I have one customer per vsan. as you stated though a port can only be a member of one vsan.

what I don't get is that I can add vsans to the vfc which to me means I should be able to assign the netapp to any vsan I say. such as below. but what happens is that once the netapp is assigned to a new vsan I lose the storage in the other zones.

possibly as you stated I just need to establish connectivity between vsans. let me check out IVR.

interface vfc17

bind interface port-channel27

switchport trunk allowed vsan 1101

switchport trunk allowed vsan add 1103

no shutdown

it's not like in Ethernet world where you can tag multiple VLANs to one port, in FC world one port = one VSAN. Do you have MDS switches in your fabric or is it all Nexus ? I don't remember if Nexus alone supports IVR.

@dynamoxxx

@dynamoxxx

all nexus, was just looking at the switch and there is no ivr feature to be enabled, nor in the cli

i think IVR is supported with Nexus 7k but not 5k

@dynamoxxx

@dynamoxxx