cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CBS250-48P-4G won't factory reset

jhulliberger
Level 1
Level 1

So, between myself and my former Tech, we've lost the password to a CBS250-48P-4G.  I want to factory reset and reprovision, but the dang thing won't reset when I hold down the reset button.

According to multiple sources online, including the official ADMIN GUIDE, I need only to remove all cables from the ports and hold the reset button for longer than 10 seconds.  This does nothing.  I have even tried holding the button while powering up, to no avail.

Does anyone have any suggestions for getting this thing rest to factory?  The stated process is VERY simple.  I doubt I am holding a button for longer than 10 seconds wrong...

6 Replies 6

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Do you have any activity on the console or led changes when trying ?

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

When the ports are unplugged the status light blinks.  After pressing the reset button for 10 seconds there isn't any change.  I had expected all of the port lights to flash on for a second.  That seemed to be the indicator in the video I saw, that the reset was activated.

It really just seems as though it's only rebooting, not resetting.  After I plug the network back into it the name that I gave the switch show up on the login page and the default login doesn't work.  I expect the name to be removed and the login from the factory to work.

What can I do with the console?  I have only ever used the GUI for managing these switches.  Never had an issue setting one to factory before.  It has always just worked.

>...It really just seems as though it's only rebooting, not resetting. 
 - To investigate further if any form of reset took place  , connect it to another switch and issue the command :
                                   show cdp neighbors detail
   and look at the ip address.

>...What can I do with the console?
   Connecting to  it and checking if there is any output when the reset button is tried , 

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

I will try the console.  The IP hasn't changed.  I know because I can pull up the login page at the same IP.  But it could be assigned the same IP from the server, even if it had been reset to DHCP.  I can check the hostname, though.  That should have been reset for sure.

Success!  I didn't have a console cable handy.  I think I gave them to the Maintenance department a couple of years ago for some machines they needed to work with.

Anyway, I re-read the document with instructions on how to reset using the button, and inside that same documents explaining to hold the button down for more than 10 seconds, there is a chart showing the NEW FIRMWARE WITH DIFFERENT BEHAVIOUR!

Apparently in 3.2 and newer you have to hold for between 15 and 20 seconds in order to get a factory reset.  (sigh...)

SullivanMario
Level 1
Level 1

I find myself entangled in a situation with my CBS250-48P-4G switch. I diligently adhering to the prescribed protocol for a factory reset – disconnecting all cables and holding the reset button for an extended duration – the switch remains stubbornly resistant to reset. Even unconventional attempts, such as holding the button during power-up, yield no success. This baffling predicament has me stumped and eager for any innovative suggestions or alternative methods to untangle this enigmatic challenge and regain access to my switch for reprovisioning.