Views
Helpful
Replies

CBS350 - Spotify Connect, DLNA, NetBios between different VLANs

magnum77
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,

I bought a cbs350 switch to seperate my LAN to different VLANs (IoT devices, ...). I was able to create the different VLANs together with DHCP and to seperate the internet router into an own VLAN. So currently all devices are able to connect to the internet and are able to talk to each other (VLAN bridging). 

But now there are some more complex things I don't know how to handle with this device.

I have some internet radio with spotify connect devices in the new IoT VLAN 2 and the PC and smartphones are in VLAN 1. So I'm not able to detect the connect devices from the smartphones/PC.

The smart TV is also in VLAN 2 and the NAS with a DLNA server is in VLAN 1. The TV cannot detect the DLNA server now.

In my old LAN I was able to ping another device with using the host name. This is also not possible anymore if the two PCs are in different VLANs.

I tried to find information and did a lot of settings (trial and error) Multicast, Bonjour, ... but it was not successful.

Is there a documentation especially for the cbs350 or can you give me some advice?

Thanks in advance.

6 Replies 6

Willzeo
Level 1
Level 1

Did you ever get this resolved?

magnum77
Level 1
Level 1

Yes, Spotify connect for example works now. But this is not possible only with the cbs350 device.

I added an Raspberry Pi with Avahi in reflector mode to reflect the mDNS packets with TTL=1 to the other VLAN.

Willzeo
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks for your reply.

I have a similar situation with Catalyst switch and WLC, Spotify connect works fine on wired network but over Wifi. Though there is little to no information as to why it doesn't work other than a 2014 post about zeroconf.org IPv4LL (Link-Local) and cisco not passing to the port.

This was working in December, and can only conclude it was to do with a Spotify update, where they stopped using airplay. 
I tried with a Meraki AP today, and worked straight away. 

Do you think this Raspberry Pi method would work here and do you have any supporting links I may follow?

magnum77
Level 1
Level 1

I'm no expert and I asked the same question in a german community where I got the information that mDNS is not routable accross VLANs due to the TTL 1 and that avahi can help me. I have only german links but you can search for avahi and reflector which should give a lot of hits. It is easy to configure it. Also you can find a lot of information how to setup RaspPi with trunk port to be member in both VLANs.

I don't know if a Catalyst switch has similar functionality inside for Link local. As far as I know mDNS is the airplay/bonjour technology.

I'm not sure if avahi helps if you have different behaviour between wired network and Wifi?!? As mentioned I'm only a beginner in this topic.

ROBERT THOMPSON
Level 1
Level 1

Cisco 3650, Cisco 3850 and above have MDNS built in - Simple config too. Also, if you have Cisco Wireless Lan Controller, it has built in MDNS gateway

josephblisz
Level 1
Level 1

Hey Community,

That's great progress with your CBS350 switch and VLAN setup! It sounds like you've achieved good segmentation for your LAN, enabling different device groups to communicate effectively while maintaining security. Spotify vs JioSaavn, this setup could offer benefits like dedicated VLANs for streaming services, ensuring smooth connectivity and possibly enhancing streaming performance. Have you noticed any improvements in your music streaming experiences since setting up your VLANs???

Best Luck!