Views
Helpful
Replies

SGE2010P Simple Question

lusbyr
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Just wondering if the SGE2010P supports CDP.  If not, are there any plans to provide support for CDP?  The last firmware update was posted on 11 Dec 2009 and was version 3.0.0.18.  To me this does not bode well for any future updates for the software.

Also makes me wonder how long Cisco intends to support this line of Small Business Switches.

If some information could be provided regarding this, I would appreciate it.

Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

We plan to deliver a bug fix maintenance release for the SFE and SGE switch family over the next two months.You can expect to see that posted on the cisco.com download page.

While SFE/SGE switches do not support CDP, we do have an upcoming release 1.1 for the 300 Series switches which will support this capability. Additional support to be delivered is for a full text CLI and Auto Smartports. This firmware is also planned to be delivered over the next two months. The 300 series switches already support LLDP-MED today along with IPv6 and a number of other capabilities.

Two points I'll make on timing of our releases. Firstly, we do a huge amount of product and solution testing with products across multiple categories - switching, wireless, voice, surveillance, storage, etc - which makes the time between releases a little longer. We take product quality very seriously. Secondly, the feature capabilities in these products go beyond like-for-like comparable products from competitors. See the following 3rd party test report from the Tolly Group as independent evidence:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-15345

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

spensleyj
Level 1
Level 1

This might be better answered by a Cisco person, but ... AFAIK the SGE2010P doesn't support CDP.  However, the new SF 300 series of switches do support CDP, LLDP-MED, etc and are L3. The latest firmware for the SF 300 series isn't very old but I did read that they are planning (yes, I know 'wink') on including a 'real' CLI with upcoming firmware revs.  I do hope they begin putting out more frequent firmware updates to address issues or enhance functionality (like logging and such).

So, will they continue to support the small business line?  As with all things, I guess that really depends on profitability.    I suspect they may continue collapsing some of their offerings together i.e. the SF 300 series includes all of the important functionality of the SRW series and the old SFE series switches. 

We plan to deliver a bug fix maintenance release for the SFE and SGE switch family over the next two months.You can expect to see that posted on the cisco.com download page.

While SFE/SGE switches do not support CDP, we do have an upcoming release 1.1 for the 300 Series switches which will support this capability. Additional support to be delivered is for a full text CLI and Auto Smartports. This firmware is also planned to be delivered over the next two months. The 300 series switches already support LLDP-MED today along with IPv6 and a number of other capabilities.

Two points I'll make on timing of our releases. Firstly, we do a huge amount of product and solution testing with products across multiple categories - switching, wireless, voice, surveillance, storage, etc - which makes the time between releases a little longer. We take product quality very seriously. Secondly, the feature capabilities in these products go beyond like-for-like comparable products from competitors. See the following 3rd party test report from the Tolly Group as independent evidence:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-15345