cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

If i add SUP7LE with 4503 chassis and i add WS-X4748-RJ45V+E line card how it will be non-blocking line card while the per slot bandwidth is 48-Gbps .????

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Rolf Fischer
Level 9
Level 9

No sure if I understand the question.

First, it has to be an E-chassis.

From New Cisco Catalyst 4500 E-Series Redundant Chassis FAQ:

Q. Can any of the currently offered supervisors drive 48 Gbps to the line card slots?

A. Yes, the Supervisor Engine 7-E supports 48 Gbps for all line card slots in the following 
chassis: WS-C4503-E, WS-C4506-E, WS-C4507R+E, WS-C4510R+E 
whereas the Supervisor Engine 7L-E supports 48 Gbps for all line card slots in 
WS-C4503-E, WS-4506-E and WS-C4507R+E.

If you're interested in the details of the c4500's architecture, I'd recommend BRKARC-3445 Cisco Catalyst 4500E Switch Architecture

HTH

Rolf

View solution in original post

It doesn't require 96Gbps, it requires 48Gbps which is what you have.

If you are thinking in full duplex terms then be aware that is not how it is presented by the slot capacity so when they say 48Gbps per slot that is not the full duplex figure.

You module has 48 ports which means if all ports were simultaneously running at 1Gbps and fully utilising their bandwith (very unlikely) they would be sending 48Gbps to the switch fabric.

And your module has a 48Gbps connection to the switch fabric so it cannot be oversubscribed.

Jon

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Rolf Fischer
Level 9
Level 9

No sure if I understand the question.

First, it has to be an E-chassis.

From New Cisco Catalyst 4500 E-Series Redundant Chassis FAQ:

Q. Can any of the currently offered supervisors drive 48 Gbps to the line card slots?

A. Yes, the Supervisor Engine 7-E supports 48 Gbps for all line card slots in the following 
chassis: WS-C4503-E, WS-C4506-E, WS-C4507R+E, WS-C4510R+E 
whereas the Supervisor Engine 7L-E supports 48 Gbps for all line card slots in 
WS-C4503-E, WS-4506-E and WS-C4507R+E.

If you're interested in the details of the c4500's architecture, I'd recommend BRKARC-3445 Cisco Catalyst 4500E Switch Architecture

HTH

Rolf

No i mean if i add SUP7LE with 4503-E chassis and i add WS-X4748-RJ45V+E line card , This line card require  96-Gbps per slot bandwidth to be non-bloking while the SUP7LE give 48-Gbps per slot ,  so WS-X4748-RJ45V+E will be blocking or not ?

It doesn't require 96Gbps, it requires 48Gbps which is what you have.

If you are thinking in full duplex terms then be aware that is not how it is presented by the slot capacity so when they say 48Gbps per slot that is not the full duplex figure.

You module has 48 ports which means if all ports were simultaneously running at 1Gbps and fully utilising their bandwith (very unlikely) they would be sending 48Gbps to the switch fabric.

And your module has a 48Gbps connection to the switch fabric so it cannot be oversubscribed.

Jon

You also have to remember that much of your traffic doesn't actually go THROUGH the supervisor card, but is managed "directly" via the line card on-board ASICs, unless you have extensive ACL's in place.  Even card to card (and in newer chassis vlan to vlan) usually bypasses the supervisor, except during initial session initiation.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card