cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

9500-32C Breakout 100G to 4x25G

prafla001
Level 1
Level 1

I'm working with a Catalyst C9500-32C on version 17.1.1. I have a QSFP-4SFP25G-CU5M module in port 2(the port is breakout enabled). Cisco Optics-to-Device Compatibility Matrix shows that QSFP-4SFP25G-CU5M is compatible with C9500-32C on version 17.1.1. However, port 2 status is err-disabled transceiver-incomp.

Is there something that I am missing?

18 Replies 18

Regarding the documentation from Cisco, you maybe could go on QSFP-100G-PSM4-S and a MTP Breakout cable.

What is the GBIC / DAC you bought ? from whom ?

We're using QSFP-100G-SR4-S bought originally from CISCO. According to the CISCO Optics Compatibility Matrix they are suitable for the switch and they are marked as "Breakout Capable".
The cable itself is not the issue yet, because the port goes to error-disable as soon as it is configured as breakout and the gbic is attached.

Just searched for the suggested PSM4. It seems to be, that they are the similar to the SR4 but using single mode fiber...

This site (https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/interfaces-modules/transceiver-modules/whitepaper-c11-744077.htmlgives a very good overview - both transceivers are listed to support breakout!

We didn't buy or test QSFP-100G-SR4-S. 

Official cisco QSFP-4SFP25G-CU3M  and Tier compatible QSFP-4X10G-LR-S is working.

Good luck with TAC.

drehstrom
Level 1
Level 1

So we got the bad news. The QSFP-100G-SR4-S is not yet supported! Hardware's fine but the software is blocking it for now.
With help, we finally found one hint here. You have to hover over the blue icon and then you'll see this note:

drehstrom_1-1710756684384.png

"Breakout mode is not supported". I don't know why CISCO doesn't state this more clearly, but that's the way it is. According to CISCO there will be an update to support these GBICs in the nearer future, since so many customers are asking for this.

I know it's not supported, but did anyone get it going with 3rd-party GBICs? We'd like to put at least some of our hardware into operation for the time being...

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card