cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Absolute-timeout and Nexus 5000-series switch

sdavids5670
Level 2
Level 2

I have a problem with Cisco Prime Infrastructure and my Nexus gear (1000v, 5Ks and 7Ks).  The problem is that Prime doesn't properly close down the ssh sessions and eventually it consumes all available sessions and then we're no longer able to SSH to our gear.  To work around this we have to console in and disable/re-enable the SSH feature.  I noticed that there's a sub-command under the "line vty" section called absolute-timeout.  I'm assuming that I can set this paramter so that the switch will kill a session which has reached the configured time.  I've seen references to this command in Cisco documentation and it looks like the default is disabled (don't apply an absolute timeout timer).  However, no matter what value I stuff into this command a subsequent verification of 'show run | sec "line vty"' reveals the following:

line vty

access-class ssh-access in

which would imply that a) the command really isn't supported or b) Cisco is really, really bad at writing software (refer to Cisco Prime Infrastructure for details).  It's a toss-up.  I cannot find a single command I can run at the CLI that shows me whether an absolute-timeout feature is configured and, if it is, the value of the timeout.  Any ideas?

2 Replies 2

Shawn B
Level 4
Level 4
I know this was a long time ago, and this is an old question, but you can verify it. Just run a 'show run all' command. You will see it there.

Larry Byrd
Level 1
Level 1

To see the configuration information for "absolute-timeout" command run the following:

show run all | beg "line vty"

you should see the "absolute-timeout set to 0 which is the default.

The reason your were not see it is because you did not include "all" in your "show run" command so default configuration commands would be seen.  Hope this answers your question.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card