cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Addition for link up/down events to passive network monitoring system.

from88
Level 4
Level 4

Hello,

We had a project to implement a network monitoring system. So we chose an Observium, which (along with weathermap plugin) completed almost all our DC network monitoring needs. Starting from Interfaces utilization to checking status of various sensors like FAN, Temperatures monitoring and etc. But because, by default, Observium is SNMP-POLL based system there are some limitations, for example - devices link change up/down events. So I wanted to ask for recommendation. For monitoring interface link changes (or also maybe OSPF neighbors) the SNMP-TRAP system or somekind of SYSLOG monitoring would work. I know that SYSLOG monitoring is supported by Observium itself.
But i want to hear opinion of you guys: maybe you can recommend any lightweight software for SNMP-TRAP monitoring, or SYSLOG monitoring ? The devices we're dealing with is CISCO IOS,IOS-XR,IOS-XE,NX-OS.
Any comments are welcome.

Thanks

3 Replies 3

Hi @from88

For trap Cisco Prime do the job and has better integration with Cisco gears.

-If I helped you somehow, please, rate it as useful.-

Hello,

here is another (fairly) popular one:

https://www.paessler.com/free-syslog-and-snmp-trap-receiver

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

If you have some sort of syslog server like Splunk, you can send it all the logs/changes and have it notify you by email or text. With Splunk, you can also create graphics with dashboards for monitoring, validation and looking at historic data.

HTH

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card