Views
Helpful
Replies

ASR920 VPLS as core of a campus Network

chrisfv
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I'm currently facing to an environment where a VPLS has been deployed as a "HUB" in the core of a campus LAN Network, not participating in Spanning-Tree

The design principles are :

- a root VSS is connected to a ASR920 VPLS Network, thanks to an Active/Passive MC-LAG

- each switching zone is connected to two ASR920 to ensure redundancy

- all Vlans (1-4094) are always propagated to all ports of all zones (no L2 segmentation between zones), Vlan tag is not decapsulated in the VPLS and all Vlans stays encapsulated in a single bridge-domain on each ASR920

Here is a generic diagram, not describing all the zones nor the entire infrastructure :

schema-generique.png

As you can guess, we are facing a lot of looping issues in this kind of design where the VPLS is seen as a "Hub", as soon as a topology change occurs.

I'm currently studying the workarounds with minimum impact on the client L2/L3 Design, and I'm currently thinking to the first following solution :

- Enable PVST/RPVST on ASR920 in order to make the VPLS participating in Spanning-Tree and then acting as a switch and no more as a simple Hub, by :

- enable PVST or RPVST on the ASR920, with a lower priority than VSS Root switches

- swtich EVC service instance to trunk (service instance trunk)

- enable stp peering on each connected port to a switch

- using command to instantiate 1 bridge-domain per Vlan (bridge-domain from-encapsulation)

- an alternative could also be to enable MSTP as VPLS has a single topology, but will be constrained to switch to STP-compatible mode on edges as PVST/RPVST are used on other switches

What do you think of this solution ? Have you ever faced to this kind of design ?

Is there any other better alternative solution with minimal impact on L2/L3 Design ?

Thanks in advance,

0 Replies 0
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card