Replies

Best Design OSPF with Stub Area or Not

Rowlands Price
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Support,

I have two L3 switches connected with OSPF with backbone are 0

switch 2 as many vlans with interface vlans created for users

it's better to create a stub area zone in switch 2 ?

What is the best design

regards

Attached is the schemeStub Area.png

21 Replies 21

Just curious, why all the alternating /25s?

Also, BTW, do you know you could replace the shown OSPF network statements with just two such statements?

Hi Joesph, /25 is because we used a vlan per switch and we didn't have more than 50 users by switch, so we choose reduce the mask from /24 to /25

You misunderstand my question.

Why didn't you assign consecutive /25s, not just bottom half of /24.

New question, is no more than 50 users, why not use /26?

BTW, my prior employer actually ran out of private address space, although they had to work at it.  ; )

Hi Joseph, sorry, i misunderstand your question

you are righ, normally we must summurized all ip range

M02@rt37
VIP
VIP

Hello @Rowlands Price 

Stub areas are often used to reduce OSPF routing information, especially in scenarios where there are many routes and you want to optimize the routing table.

If Switch 2 has a large number of external routes or participates in a complex network, using a stub area might help reduce the size of the OSPF database and improve routing efficiency.

If the number of routes in Switch 2's routing table is a concern, using a stub area can help by limiting the flooding of external routes into the area.

On the other hand, if Switch 2 needs to have complete routing information and needs to participate in the OSPF backbone area, a stub area may not be appropriate.

Best regards
.ı|ı.ı|ı. If This Helps, Please Rate .ı|ı.ı|ı.

Hi M02@rt37

Thanks for you message,

SW2 is a L3 with only vlans (about 10 vlans maxi) with SVI, no routers or others nodes behind SW2

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Stubs are used to keep other area routes from entering a non zero area.  So how many routes would otherwise enter the candidate stub area?

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card