Views
Helpful
Replies

C4507R failover what happens to ports on the current Active Supervisor

THussain
Level 1
Level 1

Hi guys, 

I'm planning to do a failover test on 4507R switch which has an Active supervisor and a Redundant supervisor.

Question is, if I do a force failover to the redundant supervisor (so it becomes active) what happens to the ports that are currently connected to the Active supervisor? will they go down ?

Thanks in advance.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jan Rolny
Level 3
Level 3

Hi THussain,

if you manually switch over with command  redundancy force-switchover so your active supervisor will reload. So it means links connected to previsouly active unit will go down. Once SUP will boot correctly SUP wil remain as standby-hot and links will be UP.

Also please check status of redundancy state of your supervisor with this command show redundancy before you will perform switchover and ensure your standby suprvisor is in state standby-hot

Regards,

Jan 

***please rate post if it is helpful***

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Jan Rolny
Level 3
Level 3

Hi THussain,

if you manually switch over with command  redundancy force-switchover so your active supervisor will reload. So it means links connected to previsouly active unit will go down. Once SUP will boot correctly SUP wil remain as standby-hot and links will be UP.

Also please check status of redundancy state of your supervisor with this command show redundancy before you will perform switchover and ensure your standby suprvisor is in state standby-hot

Regards,

Jan 

***please rate post if it is helpful***

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Yes, the ports will go down while the supervisor reboots/crashes.

THussain
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks all, I tried a test on a spare 4507 and as mentioned above the links on the Active SUP went down while it reloaded itself into Standby Hot mode. Then the links came back up.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card