Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can't ping to the device

Attach is the device connected.

From the switch i was able to ping to the range 172.19.0.0/16 except IP 172.19.100.101 & 102.

I couldn't find the solution.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello,

Check also default gateway of 172.19.100.101 & 102 and state of the ports on the switch

View solution in original post

18 Replies 18

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Mohd,

If you are able to ping the range and not only two devices then it could be reason some internal firewall enablement on both the devices.

Have you tried disable any in build firewalls on these servers.

Hope it Helps..

-GI

Rate if it Helps

Hello,

Check also default gateway of 172.19.100.101 & 102 and state of the ports on the switch

the state port is switchport mode access,

I meant in terms of being active.

Sh ip interface

Hope it helps

the port itself is active.

from the router, able to ping to the specific 101 & 102, the only problem is that, from the switch not able to ping this two IP.

So the problem probably is the default gateway of those linux servers, because router has the ip address with the same range, but the switch ip range is defferent.

When you ping those servers from the switch, icmp packets go to the router then to those servers. Then servers send packets to the router(by default gateway) and router send them to the switch.

linux servers need to have default gateway(which is router) to reply back to the switch.

In worst case, disconnect one of those linux servers and connect a laptop with the same IP and gateway to the same port and try to ping the laptop

if you are not linux supervisor.

Masoud

i'm thinking the same thing,

but because the nature of the server accessability, i need to inform the admin to shutdown the server and test that procedure.

Please share the result.

Masoud

the admin have screen capture the ifconfig.

i could see any gateway IP address configured.

Hello,

ifconfig in linux dont show the gateway of the server configured like windows.

ask them to show netstat -nr output which will show the default route configired towards one ip address and that should be you SVI of the switch in that vlan.

Hope that Helps..

-GI

Rate Helpful Post

Here is the output,

Seem like there is no default gateway set 

It should have something like 0.0.0.0  172.19.100.254 right...

Case was resolved.

After add in gateway IP address into the server.

Hello

On the switch(s) are all vlans in the vtp D/B?

sh vlan brief
Sh vtp status

Also , It doesnt look like they do but make sure those switch(s) DONThave Ip routing enabled - 

res
Paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

both are linux based server.

need to ask the server admin to check it out 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card