cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst 2960-CG Fiber Interfaces

wade.jae1
Level 1
Level 1

I have one question and I will try to keep it simple.

I have a Catalyst 2960-CG Series switch.

The model I have is WS-C2960CG-8TC-L.

There are 8 Gigabit Ethernet interfaces with Ethernet only connections.

There are 2 interfaces (9 and 10) that have what appears to be a choice between a fiber SFP or an Ethernet connection (I have attached a picture of what I am saying). Catalyst 2960_image.jpg

I currently have Gi0/10 configured as a trunk port but I want to utilize the fiber connection like illustrated above. When I plug ethernet into the port BELOW 10 the interface comes up, however, when I plug the fiber connection into the port ABOVE 10 it is ignored.

Is there a step I must I complete in order to utilized the fiber connection?

8 Replies 8

Hi

You can switch between the fixed rj45 and sfp using the interface level command 

media-type sfp 

and 

media-type rj45

Hope this helps. Please rate helpful posts.

Thank you for the reply.

I configured the interface per your suggestion but it is still not working. I know the command is working because the RJ45 connection no longer works when I plug into it. Could this be a SFP compatibility issue?

Could be an SFP issue as not all vendor's SFP work with Cisco switches.  Do you have another SFP to test with?

I am working with my fiber guys again. I will let you know what I find out from this angle. Thank you for your help. 

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

There is no special step as long as you use the copper port or the fiber port and not both at the same time.

If you are having issues with the fiber port, make sure to check the SFP and also the fiber patch.  Also, if you are connecting this switch to another switch directly, you may have to switch the fiber strand on one side of the connection and test again.

HTH

My fiber guys tell me that the fiber has been swept and that it is not a problem. This is why I was asking. I see someone else just replied with some commands. I will give those a shot. Thanks for the reply.

Sure, try that command and let us know if things work.

After implementing the suggested configuration, it appears as if we may have an SFP issue. We are exploring that now. Thank you for your help.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card