Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst 3580 to 9300 Migration

machine23
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All , 

I am in the testing phase of migrating to a 9300. So far I have done the below.

3850 running 16.3.6   and 9300 updated 17.09.04a

I have copied the start-up config to the 9300 - all looks ok apart from the usual ip routes , some interfaces not assigned to the vlan and the need to create some vlans that did not pull across.

Is there anything else that needs to addressed before I swap the stack and start swapping cables port for port.

It is a VTP server so that would propagate to the clients ok provided the uplinks work fine?

Thanks in advance 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

ryan1969manus
Level 1
Level 1

@machine23CoveredCalifornia wrote:

Hi All , 

I have copied the start-up config to the 9300 - all looks ok apart from the usual ip routes , some interfaces not assigned to the vlan and the need to create some vlans that did not pull across.

Is there anything else that needs to addressed before I swap the stack and start swapping cables port for port.

It is a VTP server so that would propagate to the clients ok provided the uplinks work fine?

Thanks in advance 

Hello, @machine23 

I can see your post and I give you the best solution for your query please see below and follow step by step.

When migrating to a Cisco Catalyst 9300 switch, there are several considerations to ensure a smooth transition:

• Ensure that all necessary VLANs are created and that interfaces are correctly assigned. Pay special attention to any discrepancies in the startup configuration that you’ve copied over.
  • Verify that all static routes are correctly configured on the new switch.
  • Confirm that the IOS version on the 9300 is stable and that you’re prepared to upgrade it as recommended, which is typically every 6 months.
  • Make sure your Smart License account is active and that the 9300 switch is registered.
  • Ensure that the VTP server configuration is correctly set up on the 9300 switch. The VTP server mode should propagate VLAN information to the clients as long as the uplinks are functioning properly and the VTP domain name, password, and version match across all devices.
  • Before the final swap, test the uplinks to confirm connectivity and proper VTP operation.
  • Always have a backup of your current configuration before making changes.
  • Double-check the physical connections and cable integrity.
  • After swapping the cables, perform thorough testing to ensure all services are running as expected.

Remember to proceed with caution and consider scheduling the migration during a maintenance window to minimize impact. If you encounter any issues, Please tell me I am happy to help you.

Best Regard,
ryan1969manus

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

ryan1969manus
Level 1
Level 1

@machine23CoveredCalifornia wrote:

Hi All , 

Thanks in advance 

Hello, @machine23 

I can see your post and I give you the best solution for your query please see below and follow step by step.

When migrating to a Cisco Catalyst 9300 switch, there are several considerations to ensure a smooth transition:

• Ensure that all necessary VLANs are created and that interfaces are correctly assigned. Pay special attention to any discrepancies in the startup configuration that you’ve copied over.
  • Verify that all static routes are correctly configured on the new switch.
  • Confirm that the IOS version on the 9300 is stable and that you’re prepared to upgrade it as recommended, which is typically every 6 months.
  • Make sure your Smart License account is active and that the 9300 switch is registered.
  • Ensure that the VTP server configuration is correctly set up on the 9300 switch. The VTP server mode should propagate VLAN information to the clients as long as the uplinks are functioning properly and the VTP domain name, password, and version match across all devices.
  • Before the final swap, test the uplinks to confirm connectivity and proper VTP operation.
  • Always have a backup of your current configuration before making changes.
  • Double-check the physical connections and cable integrity.
  • After swapping the cables, perform thorough testing to ensure all services are running as expected.

Remember to proceed with caution and consider scheduling the migration during a maintenance window to minimize impact. If you encounter any issues, Please tell me I am happy to help you.

Best Regard,
ryan1969manus

machine23
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks a lot for the advice above  

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card