Views
Helpful
Replies

Configuring DHCP Snooping

CC Estelle
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I want to enable DHCP snooping on my access layer switches. Various models, 3750, 3850, 9300. I think storing the database on flash may not be a good idea?

I have two sites with access switches connected via 1GB connection. SiteA has no servers but SiteB has a TFTP server that I can store the databases on.

Is it okay to use the TFTP server in SiteB for the switches in SiteA??  Also, what were to happen if that TFTP server happens to go down?

4 Replies 4

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

You can use the flash and as long as you backup the config, you will always have a copy to load in case something happens. The flash does not go bad very often.

Is it okay to use the TFTP server in SiteB for the switches in SiteA?

Should not be an issue if you want to go this route.

Also, what were to happen if that TFTP server happens to go down?

For redundancy install 2 servers.

HTH

@Reza Sharifi wrote:

Hi,

You can use the flash and as long as you backup the config, you will always have a copy to load in case something happens. The flash does not go bad very often.

Is it okay to use the TFTP server in SiteB for the switches in SiteA?

Should not be an issue if you want to go this route.

Also, what were to happen if that TFTP server happens to go down?

For redundancy install 2 servers.

HTH

Hi,

I thought flash couldn't be used because it will fill up quickly?  I'd much prefer to keep it simple and use flash

As for redundancy, if I had two TFTP servers, how would I configure both? I thought it could be pointed to only 1 server?

It doesn't take much space to configure DHCP snooping on the access switches.  The config on the switch sits on NVRAM and not the flash.  So, if that is all you are doing, there is no need for flash space or any FTFP server.

HTH

@Reza Sharifi wrote:

It doesn't take much space to configure DHCP snooping on the access switches.  The config on the switch sits on NVRAM and not the flash.  So, if that is all you are doing, there is no need for flash space or any FTFP server.

HTH

The config sits on NVRAM, but doesn't the DHCP Snooping binding database sit on flash, and that's what takes up the space on flash?

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card