cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Connect 2 networks with L3 switches

KrYbLuEr
Level 1
Level 1

We have a provider that has informed us they configured a MPLS circuit and we need to connect the networks via L2. I am at a loss as how I would need to accomplish this.

Ideally I would like only specific traffic to be passed through the connection as indicated in the diagram.

I would also like traffic to fallback to the VPN in the event the MPLS circuit is interrupted. (this is a nice to have not a need)

Screenshot.png

4 Replies 4

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

There is 2 options you can do as i think of now.

Option1 :

Since you have VLAN 10 over lap each side, is this possible to change any side VLAN 10 LVAN 20,

if yes you can create a L2 trunk to pass VLAN 10 and Vlan 20.

Option2 :

Use different VLAN 30 to extend the Link and create a L3 interface both the side, and run IGP and distribute the network.

(you can also do the Static for the same).

On both the case you can use IPSLA to track the link and fail over to VPN. if L2 MPLS Link Fails.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

I have never connected 2 separate networks in this manner. It seems the static route would be the best for our size. How would you recommend accomplishing this?

If you choose to have static routes, you still need IP SLA to track the link and fail over if one it fails.

example to start with :

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/ip/ip-routing/200785-ISP-Failover-with-default-routes-using-I.html

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hello

just to confirm that topology you posted is or isn’t a true reflection of your actual network?

Is it how you would like to see it or is it how it is currently?

Do you mean L2 vpls?

Whcih is basically extending your l2 vlan domain over two sites so you would have the same vlan subnets being used on each site carrying vlan traffic via this extended L2 connection. 

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card