cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Copy a firmware file from one cisco 9300 switch to another?

victoriabardy
Level 4
Level 4

I have a number of switches that need to be upgraded but it takes a LONNNNG time to copy the firmware from the external server I need to use to the switches.  I have the new firmware on one of the 9300 switches.  I haven't used the command to copy the firmware over from one switch to another in a long time.  Does anyone here on the forums know what the command is to get the file copied?

If you do know can you please share it with me?

Thank you.

Rgds,

Vicky

9 Replies 9

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

It used to be, you needed to activate a server on the network device so you could copy file from it.  Don't know if that still applies or is supported.

BTW, when copying from your external server, are you using a TCP based protocol?  Also, have you increased the TCP RWIN on the receiving device?

Hi Joseph,

I was tftp'ing from a server in a different office to get the firmware over.  I think you are right about enabling a server, I believe its scp but I don't remember the commands and that's what I am looking for here.  Thank you.

You can also enable the scp server on the device from which you want to copy:

switch(config)#ip scp server enable

On the destination switch you issue the command:

copy scp://username@<switch IP>/filename.bin flash:

Regards, LG
*** Please Rate All Helpful Responses ***

Yeah, tftp is usually slow beyond same LAN usage.

Looks like @liviu.gheorghe may have provided the command you need for SCP.

Way in the past, I used RCP server, on Cisco router, but I then switched to using a FTP server hosted on my PC. With a TCP based data transfer, bottleneck was often how fast file could be written to flash.

@victoriabardy hi you can use below guide to see all options.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/routers/2500-series-routers/15092-copyimage.html

Please rate this and mark as solution/answer, if this resolved your issue
Good luck
KB

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Yes, if the BIN file is present.

Hi Leo,

The bin file is present.  Can you share with me the commands to copy the file over?  Do I still need to enable scp to make this work?  Can you please let me know?

Thank you.

If the switch is within arms reach, plug a USB flash drive and copy the file to the USB using the following command: 

copy flash:filename.bin usbflash0:

When transferring the file into the switch: 

copy usbflash0:filename.bin flash:

Be aware that Catalyst 9200/9300/9400/9500/9600 firmware files are FREE to download.  There is no need for a separate Service Contract to download firmware and there is no need for a Service Contract to RMA the switches either.

liviu.gheorghe
Spotlight
Spotlight

You can use a USB drive to copy files between switches: copy usbflash: flash:

Regards, LG
*** Please Rate All Helpful Responses ***
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card