cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

EtherChannel/Port Channel

RJ Rodriguez
Level 1
Level 1

Hello.....I am working through an issue on a switch stack and I am trying to find out the best way to go about this. I have a switch 3850 with an 1000BaseLH SFP in it. We have been having a few issues with this port and have had to use different SFP's to bring the port back, so we are leaning to possible bad port.

I am going to use the next available port and configure it as an identical port as the one before, and the port is part of a Port Channel/Etherchannel. I am trying to find out the best way to go about getting the new port configured and added to the port channel. 

There are two fiber ports that are part of the Port Channel/Etherchannel and I have been reading if i remove one port from the port channel it will break the Port Channel/Etherchannel. So I am thinking that if I add the new port to the Port Channel/Etherchannel everything should be ok it won't break the Port Channel/Etherchannel, am I thinking this out correctly, and do I even need to remove the old port from the Port Channel/Etherchannel if I have it shutdown? I am trying to cause the least disruption to my environment, we have users here at all hours.....suggestions??

Thank you

1 Reply 1

sujsingh1
Level 1
Level 1

When you configure port channel with two or more ports, it works as a single unit untill and unless there would be minimum one functional port. So one of the advantage of port channel is to provide link redundancy.

Therefore if you want to include one more interface in port-channel, you can use that without affecting port-channel with one condition, the new interface must be configured with same settings as existing one such as speed, duplex, protocol etc.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card