Views
Helpful
Replies

GRE tunnel issue

vikramfonseca
Level 1
Level 1

Hello team,

I've got a bit of a troublesome issue with the GRE tunnel here, and any help will certainly be appreciated.

I have a GRE tunnel initiating from a Cisco 3845, thro' a Cisco ASA 7.2(4) and terminating on a Cisco 2811.

Thing is, every now and then, the tunnel hangs up and we have to shutdown both ends (interfaces), wait for 5 mins and then bring them back up. This is Cisco's recommendation.

However, this is happening on a more frequent basis and shut , no shut is not a workable option.

Any suggestions on how I can keep the tunnel from hanging up?

Thanks,

17 Replies 17

Mohamed Sobair
Level 7
Level 7

Victor,

1- Yes u are correct, I beleive he should apply (Path MTU Discovery) in order to prevent any Packet fragmentation which could cause a High latency an inconssistency performance.

2- If the Tunnel dies, then a possible cause would be a ( Recursive Tunneling ) issue. Make sure the Tunnel Source is not the same as the Tunnel destination.

HTH

Mohamed

Mohammed,

I'll google Path MTU Discovery. The tunnel source is not the tunnel destination.

Thanks,

Mohamed Sobair
Level 7
Level 7

Pls Have a look at the bellow link, If u search google u will also get the same:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk365/technologies_tech_note09186a0080094690.shtml

HTH

Mohamed

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card