Views
Helpful
Replies

Modules are not detected in 6509

Zeeeee
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I have a 6509 with VS-S720-10GE-3C engines but without any IOS. My plan is to use the xmodem to load the IOS and once it is up, copy the IOS to bootflash via tftp. I have already loaded the IOS but unable to tftp it in as all the modules, but 1 (fibre module), are not detected.

Do let me know what info do you need in order to resolve the issue.

Thank you,

Aizat

17 Replies 17

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

where did you xmodem/load  the ios to on the sup , if its in disk0 or somewhere else you should be able to copy in in console between the partitions

you can set the boot from disk0 or somewhere else too it doesn't need to be bootflash

Hi Mark,

It is not in disk0 nor bootflash, and it took almost 15hrs for it to load. I did a dir command on disk0, bootflash, etc and nothing is inside. Kindly view the attachment.

Thank you,

Aizat

Hi

is it anywhere on the switch it did it complete ok yes , I know xmodem are a nightmare they take forever you can speed them up but there sill not very good that's why a card reader is great there  instant and then you can stick it in straight onto the card and insert it in disk0 or 1

a lot of the newer stuff has usb too , your sup doesn't have that available  ? 

check... dir all 

a lot of the newer stuff has usb too , your sup doesn't have that available  ? 

Sup720 USB port is disabled.  I don't know why it's there for.

It is not in disk0 nor bootflash

The reason why disk0: is throwing errors because there is no CF present in disk0: to begin with.  If you have a compatible CF, copy the IOS into the CF from your PC and then insert the CF into the disk0: slot.  This will make a 15 hour XModem transfer into seconds.

ah ok I haven't got these sups yet was hoping the newer 10gb might have a useful usb in it he could use

we use card readers here to , for the few dollars/euros they cost there so worth it

was hoping the newer 10gb might have a useful usb in it he could use

The USB ports on the Sup2T now works.  I haven't tried it on the Sup6T yet.  

we use card readers here to , for the few dollars/euros they cost there so worth it

There is an 8Gb Cisco-branded flash drive for UCS and Nexus.  The price is ... "unbelievable". 

Good to know sup2Ts can do that still have a good few in use will look into that

There is an 8Gb Cisco-branded flash drive for UCS and Nexus.  The price is ... "unbelievable". 

that wouldn't surprise me with some Cisco prices, we just use the generic cheap ones though off amazon they work well , and you can lose them without breaking the bank  :)

Hi Mark,

I did as told and there was nothing inside.

After xmodem, i was able to use the sup engine port, so i did a tftp of the ios image into the sup-bootdisk. Now it is able to boot up if i do a reload. However, when i did a show module, all modules but 1 show an "unknown" status.

Thank you,

Aizat

Can you just run "dir" command and check if IOS is visible.

Hi Vivek,

I did dir but nothing was inside.

After xmodem, i was able to use the sup engine port, so i did a tftp of the ios image into the sup-bootdisk. Now it is able to boot up if i do a reload. However, when i did a show module, all modules but 1 show an "unknown" status.

Thank you,

Aizat

Post the complete output to the following commands: 

1. sh version; and 
  2. sh module

Hi Leo,

Now, another error appeared. I have attached it.

Thank you.

Crashed caused by software fault.  

Kindly determine if you can perform the following action: 

1. Pull out the supervisor card for about 5 seconds; and
  2. Insert the supervisor card

If the card still crashes, force the supervisor card to load a different IOS.

Hi Leo,

I have pulled out and re-inserted a few times today. Still the same results.

I have also changed to a different ios twice, and still the same result.

Does it have anyhing to do with boot ios? 

Thank you.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card