cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Mounting catalyst switch port direction to the hot corridor. Ok or not

Izmer Henadz
Level 1
Level 1

1Gb catalyst switches has air intake from front and side and exhaust to the back.  And no versions with reverse-airflow.

I know many places where such switches installed port side to the hot corridor - so it intake hot air and blow to direction of cold corridor - not optimal for cooling, but much more convenient for commutation. 

Please tell me is that correct or not.

Maybe cisco has official document that describes mounting of such switches?  I didn't find it...

4 Replies 4

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

1Gb catalyst switches have air intake from the front and side and exhaust to the back. 

That is correct. Most Catalyst switches exhaust to the back. So, you want the port side of the Catalyst switches to be on the cold side since they are from to back.

If you want switches that exhaust to the front, you would need to look at the Nexus switches.

HTH

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Depends on the model of the switch and the average ambient temperature of the installed location. 

Classic IOS switches can take a beating (temperature wise) but I am not sure I can say the same thing about the newer generation of switches.

"Classic IOS switches can take a beating (temperature wise)"
Yes - a know many people that set up port side to hot corridor, and everything work fine.
But i want to DIR (do things right) - better to have official answer from CISCO support, or official installation instruction.

@Izmer Henadz wrote:
better to have official answer from CISCO support, or official installation instruction

Contact the Cisco AM/SE or raise a TAC Case.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card