Views
Helpful
Replies

Need to know why interface status shown Inactive state in nexus 5596

djagdale97
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have nexus 5596 switch in which interface state is shown inactive even if port is admin up. i want to know why port status is shown as inactive. below is the port configuration.

show run interface Eth1/30

!Command: show running-config interface Ethernet1/30
!Time: Fri Dec 20 08:35:12 2019

version 7.0(5)N1(1)

interface Ethernet1/30
inherit port-profile XYZ
spanning-tree bpduguard enable

below is the port profile config

show running-config port-profile XYZ

!Command: show running-config port-profile XYZ
!Time: Fri Dec 20 08:36:36 2019

version 7.0(5)N1(1)
port-profile type ethernet XYZ
switchport trunk native vlan 7
spanning-tree port type edge trunk
switchport access vlan 7
switchport trunk allowed vlan 7
no lldp transmit
spanning-tree bpdufilter disable
state enabled

below is the interface status

show interface Eth1/30
Ethernet1/30 is down (inactive)
Dedicated Interface

Thanks in advance..

Regards,

Dhiraj Jagdale

4 Replies 4

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

we need to look a couple of outputs before we can come to a conclusion what is wrong?

1. do you have vlan 7 in the VLAN Database : issue show vlan to see that vlan exists or not.

2. what is the device connected behind this port ? any Server with Actve/Standby ?

3. can you post "show run interface Eth1/30 expand-port-profile"

4. what is the outcome if you do not attach the port-profile.

Another side note, any there any other ports also using same port-profile and working? if so please post that interface to examine.

once the port working "should work as expected" with port-pfoile then we can look and tweak the config of port-profile.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

i faced same issue and issue resolved

i missed this, Directly created a vlan without database===> ( do you have vlan 7 in the VLAN Database : issue show vlan to see that vlan exists or not)

Hi. I have 2 core switches which are logically made into one switch via svl links between each other. There is a port channel to an access switch with two uplinks, one from core switch 1 and one from backup core switch. (Port 1/2/0/5 to ten1/1/1 and port 2/2/0/5 to ten 1/1/2). To check the backup on access switch I shutdown port 1/1/1 and now the connection is lost. If i want to verify if the backup link from 2nd core switch is working, can I shutdown the interface from primary core switch as well to see if the access switch receives traffic from port 1/1/2?

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Below you will find a number of possible causes : actually as a test physical disconnect the port for a moment and re-connect  , then issue show logging ; you may  get additional info.

https://packetpushers.net/cisco-nexus-port-inactive-status/

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card