Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus 9K Non-disruptive ISSU Not Supported

dtran
Level 6
Level 6

Hi all, hope everyone is doing well !!!

I just bought a pair of N9504 with dual SUP to replace my N7K. I am working on bringing the N9504s online as we speak and just to find out that non-disruptive ISSU is not supported on N9K modular chassis. I am so disappointed that Cisco took away this feature from the N9K modular chassis. I omit to do my research on this before making the purchase since I have used ISSU a few time on my N7Ks so I would assume it would be available in the N9K. What a bummer .. I love this feature. Anyone has any info on why Cisco choose to NOT support non-disruptive ISSU on N9K modular chassis ?

Thanks in advance !!!

Danny

6 Replies 6

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

as per below that may be true if i read correctly - is this your situation ?

The ISSU feature is not supported on any Nexus 9504, 9508, or 9516 chassis with N9K-C95xx-FM-Ex or N9K-C950x-FM-R fabric modules inserted in the chassis. Software upgrades with this hardware combination will be disruptive and will require the switch to reload.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/dcn/nx-os/nexus9000/101x/configuration/high-availability-and-redundancy/cisco-nexus-9000-series-nx-os-high-availability-and-redundancy-guide-101x/m-issu-and-ha.html

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hello Balaji ... hope you are doing well !! thank you very much for your response !!

I am running NXOS 10.3.4a with the following hardware .. doesn't look like the scenario you mentioned matches mine. See below

N9K-SUP-B+
N9K-C9504-FM-E
N9K-X97160YC-EX

SEG-9504-2# sh install all impact nxos bootflash:nxos64-cs.10.3.4a.M.bin non-disruptive
Installer will perform impact only check. Please wait.
Pre-upgrade check failed. Return code 0x4093009C (Non-Disruptive ISSU is not supported on modular platform.)

You are right Balaji ... it looked that the issue is with my fabric module. I am using N9K-C9504-FM-E which Non-disruptive ISSU is not supported per the link you shared. 

Would the N9K-C9504-FM-G support non-disruptive ISSU ? 

Thanks Balaji !!!

Danny

I have not tested, so i go with cisco document only (if not mentioned that means its supported)

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hello MHM, thanks for sharing the link !! appreciate your response !!

I checked the link and do not see N9500s in the list.

I purchased my N9504 with dual SUP for that reason ... Non-disruptive ISSU.

Danny

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card