cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

NIC Teaming & MAC learning on Switches

snarayanaraju
Level 4
Level 4

Hello All - Refer the attached diagram. No LACP or VPC configured in the switches

Question: On which Interface of SWITCH-1 the MAC address of the Windows Server (configured with NIC Teaming) will be learned. In my setup, the MAC f4c9.d3c4.3fd7 is learned alternative between SWITCH-1 Ports Gig 1/5 and Gig 1/6?

If this MAC is learned alternatively (Flapping) between these 2 interfaces of SWITCH-1 does it create issue in network performance to the Server?.

regards,

SAIRAM

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi is that constantly resetting , did you run the full command it should show you what interface its originating from

xxxxxxx#show spanning-tree detail | inc ieee|occurr|from|is exec
Number of topology changes 192 last change occurred 2d23h ago
from GigabitEthernet0/1

id also look at the link below that Paul suggested, lacp wont work unless switches are stacked or in vss or vpc mode acting as one unit , you could have 1 active standby interface though stp  by setting cost either

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Hi
If both of those links are up your going to loop the traffic from the server , one of them should be blocking in STP mode to prevent the loop

can you check is one blocking or else you will have issues
show spanning-tree int g1/1 and repeat the same for 1 , one should be FWD the other BLK

Hey Mark - In STP perspective, in SWITCH-1 both Gig 1/5 & Gig 1/6 is in DES Role FWD state. I could see the MAC of NIC is changing often between Gig 1/5 & Gig 1/6. This setup is working for many months without major issue, expect a little Request Timeout in Ping test

I would think the timeout could be stp changes in the background
You can confirm with this command , if the timers are resetting then there are layer 2 convergence changes going on in the background whihc would cause momentary loss of packets , depoending how large the network is it can have knock on effects

show spanning-tree detail | inc ieee|occurr|from|is exec

Thanks Mark - I will check the STP timers. By the way, what is the best practice. Do i have to configure Active/Standby in NIC?. Does LACP is a solution as well?

Hi Mark - This is the output from SWITCH-1

SWITCH-1#show spanning-tree detail | inc ieee|occurr
Number of topology changes 14318 last change occurred 00:25:44 ago
Number of topology changes 7826 last change occurred 00:25:44 ago
Number of topology changes 8329 last change occurred 00:53:30 ago
SWITCH-1#

Hi is that constantly resetting , did you run the full command it should show you what interface its originating from

xxxxxxx#show spanning-tree detail | inc ieee|occurr|from|is exec
Number of topology changes 192 last change occurred 2d23h ago
from GigabitEthernet0/1

id also look at the link below that Paul suggested, lacp wont work unless switches are stacked or in vss or vpc mode acting as one unit , you could have 1 active standby interface though stp  by setting cost either

Thank you Mark.

Hello

Link state Tracking (LST) is ideal for this -review it here -

res
Paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Hey Paul - Thanks for response. I want to know, On which interface of SWITCH-1, the MAC address is learned as both the Links are in STP FWD state. Both the Links are in STP FWD state because the Topology i have given doesnt detect the loop, unless STP is running on the Server NIC. In my case Server NIC doesnt run STP

regards,

sairam

Hello

the switch runs stp not the server -So  you should be okay providing stp is active for the vlan the teamed nic is attached to.

res

paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card